14 November, 2006

Happy Anniversary to ME!

Happy Anniverary , Mr. Monogram, wherever you are (somewhere in St. Louis), and whatever you’re doing (receiving an exceptional achievement award). Eight years ago today I was an excited nervous wreck, about the embark on the biggest adventure of my life. And here we are, eight years, 3 houses, 2 kids, and a chocolate lab later, still hanging in there (somehow). Okay, well the dog did come before any of this since she was a Christmas gift from you to me 11 years ago, but you get the point.

Today we’re celebrating 8 years of wedded “bliss.” That’s a funny word, don’t you think? As the EMG remarked about her anniversary last month, we should probably be celebrating the fact that after nearly 11 ½ years together and 8 years of marriage we haven’t managed to kill each other yet (remember West Virginia?), but as long as there’s a gift involved I’ll celebrate whatever he wants me too. Well you didn’t think I was stupid, did you? And you know, I’ve been pretty pissy about spending yet another anniversary alone while he’s off on some business trip or another (note: he has missed 5 of the last 8 anniversaries), but now I’m thinking the gift of being alone and having the bed all to myself and not having to shove him over on his side or yell at him to stop snoring might actually be a wonderful gift in itself, no? Yes, I’m liking this idea more and more, as is preppy puppy who really enjoys spreading out on his side and his pillows when he’s out of town as well. And you know I take my preppy puppy’s comfort most seriously at this advanced stage in her life.

Now, you all know I am a traditional girl who likes to do things strictly by the book, especially when etiquette is concerned. And I happen to know that the traditional gift for an 8th anniversary is a gift of bronze or pottery, and a modern gift would consist of linens or lace. And since I just don’t see Mr. Monogram getting all excited about linens or lace, that leaves me with bronze or pottery. Again, I just don’t see him getting excited about that either so it’s time to be a little creative. But even channeling my inner Martha couldn’t get me to come up with anything even remotely creative where Linens, lace, bronze or pottery is concerned, so it was time for Plan B.

And Plan B means I decided to make it an interpretive gift. You know, like interpretive dance. It really isn’t dance at all, but whatever… You call it what you want. So taking the Lace gift from the modern gift suggestion, I decided to give him new shoes with LACEs. Good, right? Well, he did love the shoes I must say and while it was boring for me to buy and give, it was, after all, what he asked for. And in retrospect, it was probably about as exciting for him to buy my new Coach bag for me, but yet, I think we all know how thrilled I was to open that shiny brown box perfectly wrapped with a ribbon. Here’s a picture of my new baby. Clearly, I was a tad too excited to snap pictures of the new member of my growing little Coach family to remove all the tissue from her handles, but they are a beautiful red to match her. But don’t worry, no formal birth announcement will be sent.

So today I was out and about shopping and came up with a few more ideas for Holiday decorating. It is high time I start kicking it into high gear here so get ready because things are about to take off here at monogram momma’s. Last night I finished up a great project that a few people have been asking about so I’m super excited to share that. I’m sure a few of you will find a little boring, but c’est la vie. I can’t please everyone, much as I would love to. Oh, I almost forgot! If you’ve emailed me a gift giving request and I haven’t gotten back to you, I promise I am working on it. Sorry to sort of pop on and pop off like this but I really must get going now. Laundry is calling and it isn’t going to take “no” for an answer anymore.

19 Comments:

J said...

Happy anniversary!

Melissa said...

VERY creative idea with the shoe LACES! I like it. And I love your new baby. It looks great - way to go Mr. Monogram!

Pink Cupcakes said...

Happy Anniversary!

Bossy Bar-Wife said...

Happy Anniversary and a very warm welcome to that beautiful new baby. I hope to have one just like it someday....

Sew Gracious said...

Happy Anniversary! There's nothing like finding that silver lining of Preppy Pup while Mr. M is out of town. The "laces" were very creative and I love your new baby as well!

Allie_in_Ga said...

Happy Anniversary!

Monogram Momma said...

Thanks so much, everyone! The new baby is resting peacefully and I am thoroughly enjoying my anniversary watching my Dancing with the Stars Finale. How thoughtful of ABC to put that on my anniversary night!

Alyson said...

Happy Anniversary MM! I hope you had a GREAT day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, glad you had a nice early celebration and fabulous new bag and preppy pup to celebrate today with.

Suburban prep said...

Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby. Today is Annivesary # 8 for me and my hubby.
Your photo looks very much like how I remember my wedding. Heard the song "Give Me Forever (I Do) by John Tesh and James Ingram this afternoon by a fluke and had to stop what I was doing--it was the song that we had our first dance to. Not a real big John Tesh fan but love the words that are the song. (About the groom to be thinking about what the day means to him as his wife to be walks down the aisle).
Hope that you and Mr Monogram are able to spend many more Anniversaries together.

Sarah said...

How did I not see this post until just now?! Well, a belated happy wish from me. I'm loving the new Coach bag- perfect for the holidays.

Marissa said...

I LOVE this bag... this would make a fabulous Christmas present! I must slip this hint along ;)

Unknown said...

Clearly I am a novice at the "preppy" thing (although I am a child of the eighties, so that should count for something), but is that a MONOGRAMMED Coach bag? Oh my goodness, I LOVE it! Happiest of Anniversaries, and many more to come!

Jill said...

Aww - Happy Anniversary! And that Coach is TDF!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY & here's to many, many more happy years together!!! CHEERS!!

I love your new "baby" ..perfect for the upcoming holiday season - love the red :) Enjoy !!

Susan Dench said...

Happy, happy anniversary! Now, let's see, you need "baby" shower gifts to go with your new baby....new wallet, new key fob....

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary! Just found your blog and enjoyed the visit very much. (((hugs)))

Corrie said...

Well a belated Happy Anniversary to you MM!!
I have that same bag. Mr Monogram has great taste (obviously, he chose you didn't now he?)!

Monogram Momma said...

Thanks, Corrie! What color combo did you go with? I love the red! I don't really have anythingred to wear with it so i guess I need to get shopping. But don't think that's stopped me from carrying it around every day!

Welcome, Belle-ah! Thanks for stopping by!