12 September, 2006

Tie It With a Bow

I have to first start off by saying how beyond thrilled I am that the new season of Martha kicked off yesterday. Let me hear a Hip Hip Horray! But my day was finally made complete last night when the new season of Dancing with the Stars also premiered. Okay, you can stop laughing now. I’m serious. Aside from taking Cotillian classes, I never took ballet or tap or any other type of dance classes for that matter growing up, so I really can’t explain my Dancing with the Stars obsession. However, I’m going on record right now as saying that Mario Lopez is the one to beat (remember Slater from Saved by the Bell? Well he can really shake his bon bon. Who knew?). Yep, you heard it hear first. But let’s move on to other things today, such as gift wrapping.

I’d received an inquiry from Laura on my opinion regarding gift bags, when and when not to use them, and any helpful wrapping suggestions in general. And if you know anything at all about monogram momma of course I’ve got an opinon and advice on gift wrap, Laura (I mean come on, you must know I’ve got an opinon on just about everything by now)! Now, as a general rule, if gift-wrapping is an option from little boutiques and I know what that the end result is going to be of equal cuteness as to how I myself would wrap it up for my recipient, then I say by all means, have them wrap it. It is one less thing I’ve got to do and I can go ahead and mark that off my never ending “to-do” list. However, sadly, there are some stores whose idea of gift wrapping consists of throwing it in a bag with their name on it. That, my friends, is not acceptable for gift giving in monogram momma’s book. While we’re on the subject of bags, let me just say that as a general rule, no, I do NOT like to gift wrap with a bag. Why, you ask? Because you’re not really wrapping. To me a gift bag says you didn’t take the time to wrap my gift. You just grabbed a bag, some tissue, and threw it in there. The exception to this, is when you are giving a gift that really can’t be wrapped (such as a child’s toy, when they very often come in oddly shaped boxes with all sorts of edges and angles. BTW, Why do they do this?) and that’s when you use cute clear cellophane bags and lots of fun fringe or ribbon, and a gift sticker (such as the ones I did for the mini monograms). But while this is just my own personal opinon on wrapping and I know you’re really looking for some more fun wrapping ideas, I consulted an expert, sister 2 (okay, so I’m just calling her an expert. She doesn’t actually make a living from this or anything). See, sister 2 is a world class wrapper and truly believes that the wrapping itself should be part of the actual gift, which you must know I entirely agree about. She makes each gift look like a piece of art, that you almost can’t bear to tear it open. But of course we all do because we really want to know what’s inside, right? But I digress…

You’ll notice I’ve got pictures of my sisters wrapping trim box full of all it’s goodies inside, as well as individual pictures of trims she likes to use a lot interspersed throughout this entry. Just consider this your heads up on what’s what today (clearly my mind is all over the place with this post). So after spending some time with my sister and her graciously sharing her creative ideas, I hope you will all be as excited to learn from her as I was, so let’s talk paper. First of all, when you’re buying wrapping paper, it’s always a great idea to mix mediums. You know, a plaid and solid together compliment each other nicely. Or a stripe and polka dot. There’s certainly no rule that says you have to use just one type of paper to wrap a gift. By using different papers that are in the same family to wrap a gift, your giving it much more appeal and interest. This goes for ribbons too. See how great this stripe and polka-dot ribbon look together? For instance, sister 2 will often wrap a box in one paper, then make a sort of belt or band to wrap around the center of the package in another complimentary paper. You can then do something simple like adding a personalized gift sticker to the top of the belt then, or, add something really fun, like she would do, such as individual pom pom’s. Also consider using other fun things to wrap your gift such as crepe paper. It’s so inexpensive and looks so cute if you wrap it around your gift and make a striped pattern with different colors of crepe paper to wrap the gift. Just be creative with your gift wrap!

So now that the gift is wrapped, lets wander on over to the trim section in our local sewing or craft store. The trim section, with its fringe and pom- poms and beading, is a fabulous, yet often forgotten place to buy items to use for wrapping. Buy the pom-poms (or ball fringe) by the yard, remove the pom-poms, and individually gluing each pom pom to the top of your gift wrap produces a super fun, three dimensional wrapped gift, sure to entice the recipient. Want another idea? Buy some pretty grosgrain ribbon, and make a little flower with the ribbon, and glue a button in the middle to top off your package. Sometimes, you can even use your gift to wrap the package! For instance a cute gift of a ribbon watch and matching belt, could be wrapped with the belt in a small box, and the watch fastened around the outside of the wrapped package as your ribbon! Genius I say!


But wait, that’s not all! *saying this in infomercial announcer-type voice* While your at the craft store, make sure you pick up some silk flowers, silk birds and butterflies to attach onto gift wrapping or ribbon. A silk gerber daisy looks beautiful on solid colored paper. Can’t you just picture a pink box trimmed in fun fringe and topped off with a bright orange gerber daisy? I’m smiling ear to ear just thinking about it. But speaking of fun fringe, you can see the picture here of what fun fringe is, or buy it from Plum Party, an awesome party and wrapping source. Visiting sites such as Plum Party, Whimsey Press, and Name Maker (my favorite!) will help get your creativity flowing and give you some great ideas.

So, a funny story…. Yesterday on Martha, she was talking about how she was invited to a 25th anniversary party for a Rockefeller, and really, what on earth do you give a Rockefeller? So finally she came up with a huge tray that had 25 individual small square baskets laid out in a perfect pattern to fill the tray, and each little basket contained a special delight grown in Martha’s garden. One had fresh tomato’s, one had fresh cucumbers, etc, etc. you get the idea. So as she was carrying this huge and heavy gift tray up the long driveway, she heard one guest quietly say to another who was behind her, “Wow, look at that gift! It’s So ‘Martha Stewart’!” and the one guest replied to the other, “That IS Martha Stewart!!”

The moral of the story? Think outside the box! Let your presentation be equally as important as the gift because if you have a so-so gift that you’re not particularly excited about, go all out with the wrapping because it will seem so much more. And remember, you don’t always have to tie it with a bow!

20 Comments:

a. said...

My family sells ribbon so it's all about the wrapping at my house.

Not to be nit picky but it's Rockefeller.

Kiki the Precious Preppy said...

MM, love the multi paper concept, will have to incorporate that with my “I am thankful gift” on Thanksgiving. For special Christmas gifts I hand make candy wreaths, will comment later on what that is. They are heavy, and difficult to wrap; thereupon, I do use a gift bag. I have managed to find a way to "wrap" a gift bag, it’s on my blog MM. I also enjoyed you sharing the numerous online websites. I am getting excited!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! You're brilliant. Thanks for all the help. Getting my hands to do these things is a little harder, but I'm willing to give it a try! Thanks for answering my question!

Monogram Momma said...

Ughh. Thanks, Preppy Princess for the heads up. I was in such a rush to get my post done this morning and get the boys out of the house for a playdate by 10am that I just published and ran out the door witouth double-checking or word spelling!

Anonymous said...

I don't even think I need Martha anymore - I have you!!

Anonymous said...

MM,
Love that pink pom pom fringe, wherever did you find it? I've looked high and low with no luck?!
Kelly

Monogram Momma said...

Welcome back, Chloe! I've missed my daily cup of English Tea!
Kelly: I have found the best place for ball fringe is JoAnn's Craft Store. I don't know if you have one. But Hancock's also has a somewhat decent selection too. There are two types to look for, and this pink type is sold in small packages of say a yard each. Next time I'm at JoAnn's I will write down who makes it and put a little note on the blog about it. But you have to scour the store for the different types of ball fringe as they never include it all together (because apparently that would just make too much sense, right?)

Doodle Bugs said...

Such cute ideas!! I just found you but I already love you! Great info and I am bookmarking you

I just posted my "dancing with the stars" comments on my blog. I agree with you but I am pulling for a couple underdogs! LOL

Kacey

lcd said...

Your writitng style is just horrible. I know it is just a little personal bloggy thing but my god! The run on sentances, the terrible grammar, the mis spelled words, the strangled style. Do you claim some type of English degree somewhere? And the low rent "I'm so crafty put a fake flower on a package" idea stuff. Do people actually believe because you put monograms on everything in sight it makes them classy? No, it just makes them monogrammed. Mother always said you cannot buy class or taste and how true that is.

Monogram Momma said...

WOW, Gabe, you sure do have a lot of bitter and resentment festering inside of you! I certanily don't remember inviting you here and if you don't like what you read, then by all means, please don't feel the need to return.
I assure you, I am not the one lacking in class, but rather it is you, as you have so clearly shown that to everyone with your rude post.*as I'm laughing at it right now, btw* Why bother to leave a comment if you're going to be so nasty? Apparently your other missed out on teaching you a lot (such as, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all). I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for in the blogging world!

lcd said...

Ah, the reply to the comment again filled with typos. Classic. And should you really want to see some classic wrap try designer Carolyne Roehm's gorgeous presentations.
http://www.carolyneroehm.com/Gift_Wrap_Collections/Citrus.html

Monogram Momma said...

Rarely do I feel the need to ask a guest to leave, but if you wouldn't mind leaving, I would be most appreciative.
And by the way, where's your blog? What's your email address? If you know so much then why not share it with us? I'd love to stop by and say hello to you as well.
Chill out. This is a BLOG, FOR FUN. FOR ENTERTAINMENT. If you're not having fun OR being entertained, then it truly doesn't hurt my feelings if you don't come back.

By the way, don't let the door hit you on the rear end when you're leaving.

Susan Dench said...

Hi MM,

Have you seen this personalized wrapping paper? I thought it was so fabulous I started carrying it - sorry to put in a plug, but it really is fun, different and a conversation starter!http://themuddydog.com/detail.aspx?ID=39
BTW, for ribbon and fabric and so on have you tried J. Caroline Creative?

Susan Dench said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Monogram Momma said...

Hi Susan! Yes, I actually posted that paper from Name Maker a week or so ago as one of the "Things I Love Today." You can read it here if you missed it. http://monogrammomma.blogspot.com/2006/08/things-i-love-today.html

Thanks for the info though!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gabe,
When you make a comment criticizing grammar and spelling on a blog, it's best not to misspell words like "sentences". It makes your point a little less effective when you have errors yourself, don't you think?

lisagh said...

Gabe's a dud. Keep on keepin' on MM!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi MM! I just want to tell you how much I look forward to your daily post! I hope you know that there are a lot of people out here who really appreciate it! PS- I am going with the portrait- thanks again for your advice!

Monogram Momma said...

Do I have the best readers or what? You guys rock! Thanks for all the fabulous comments! And Sarah, I hope you'll send a picture of the portrait when it's finished; I'm sure it's going to be beautiful!

Anonymous said...

i love you mm...please don't let that loser get you down. i love that your blog is light and fun!!