18 April, 2008

The Blog Post Where I Drag Myself Out of Retirement...

Well, you know the old saying. When it rains it pours. And ya'll have been so sweet to email me in the last week or two (pretty much everyone at once; did you conspire?) asking when I was coming out of retirement. And since my self-imposed but much needed retirement did not offer me any benefits or government checks, I've decided to dust off my keyboard and get back into it. So thank you, to those of you who were so thoughtful and took the few minutes to send me an email. I really do appreciate it. It is always nice to know when you're being thought of. I supposed I needed the little nudge from all of you.

I must say though, I have really enjoyed my little break. Not that I didn't miss my fellow preps, but I really needed the time to grieve and be sad and . It was much needed after the loss of my precious girl. So what's been going on around here, you might want to know? Nothing to exciting I assure you, but I'll share and get you up to speed none-the-less.

1) We built a home in Webkinz World Okay, so technically, we've been building two homes in Webkinz World, but that is but a minor detail. Since February, the mini monogram's have adopted a total of 11 Webkinz pets (included are a kangaroo, tiger, all 3 Labrador retriever colors, a google, etc.). If you don't know what these pets are or what Webkinz World is, consider yourself lucky. For you are not one of the tens of thousands of us who have become addicted to this little world of taking care of pets, feeding them, exercising and socializing them, and playing games to earn "kinzcash" (webkinz money) to then buy things to decorate your home or clothes to fill your Webkinz closets with. Yes, it is such an addiction, that a few of my girlfriends and I find ourselves playing during the day while our children are at school. Sigh...
More to follow on this at a later date though.

2) I realized God only gave me 2 feet so I should take care of them So for the last year or so I have been walking around in excruciating pain. Mostly my left foot, often times my right foot. Some days are so bad I literally can't walk on the foot and feel like my 94 year old grandmother. So at the recommendation of a good friend of ours who is a prominent spinal surgeon here, I finally got myself to and orthopedist. Long story short (or is it already long?), i have severe plantar fasciitus and two heel spurs. Ouch. I've let it go for so long and done so much damage that it looks like I'll be having surgery at some point this summer. Thank heavens for Cortisone shots because he did give me a shot in my foot a couple weeks ago and WOW- let me just tell you what I've been missing out on in the past year not having a functional foot. This appointment also led me to #3...

3) I broke down and begrudgingly purchased a pair of Crocs I know, the great preppy debate. To wear crocs or not. I have very firmly been in the NOT category, but my orthopedist said I am rendering myself disabled with all my flip-flops and bare feet. So I am now a closeted croc owner since I only wear them as house shoes around the house because he told me I can not be barefoot around the house anymore. As painful as it is for me to admit, they really do make my feet feel better and are helping (and at least I got the Mary Jane in cotton candy so they're semi-tolerable for cleaning up around here and doing laundry).

4) New dogs learn new tricks easily New preppy puppy has been growing like a weed. I suppose I just really forgot how quickly preppy puppy grew because new preppy puppy has really shot up like a weed! She's very bright and you can definitely tell she was bred to hunt (not for show as preppy puppy was) and has some amazing natural instincts. She's fully potty-trained, loves her crate, riding in the car running errands, going to the boy's baseball games, and has been a super quick learner. So far she's mastered waving goodbye to guests, shaking, speaking, sitting/staying, kenneling up on command, and a few more. I haven't taught her to help with the groceries or get the phone yet like preppy puppy could do, but she's still a bit young for those. She needs a little more patience first. Next week I'll post pictures of the new girl.

5) Kids extracurricular activities are not what they used to be I already knew this one, but I was reminded again how much more competitive parents and kids are these days with their extracurricular sports. Last Saturday we were gone nearly 8 hours that day between mini #2's t-ball and mini #1's baseball pictures and games and meal. But you know what? I can't say it was a crappy way to spend a day, as the weather was beautiful and everyone had a great time (however you should know we were all in bed by 6:45 that evening).

I think that about brings you up to speed on the comings and goings of the Monograms. As I said, nothing too exciting or earth shattering. I've really noticed the boys have matured so much these last few months and are making such an effort to get along and co-exist peacefully. It could be that me slowing down and relaxing more means that I've just been noticing it more, but whatever. Hectic crazy schedules aside, things have been looking up.

Thank you again for sticking with me and letting me give up on my creative outlet, Monogram Momma. Until next week when I return with a great giveaway from one of my favorite companies, enjoy the spring weather and Play Ball!

36 Comments:

BEST OF THE NEST said...

glad you're back !You have been missed!

lepetitprep said...

I am so glad you are back! I look forward your creative, preppy ideas!

lisagh said...

What a great update! I was thrilled to see my bloglines "MM" highlighted this evening :)

southernjoy said...

Glad you're back! I just discovered your blog a week ago, and I've been afraid that you had abandoned it. Love the crafts and links to shops.

Rachel said...

Glad to see you're back, we missed you! Sounds like you've been busy taking care of your family--glad you didn't forget to also take care of yourself.

Paula@SweetPea said...

Welcome back! I'm ready to see some crafty projects that you've been doing the past few months.

I've had plantar fasciitus in the past and I know the pain you are talking about. Did your doctor say anything about sleeping in a boot to keep your foot flexed? I did that for months and months and that's what gave me relief. You can order a boot from Road Runner Sports or some other running website. Good luck getting better.

a. said...

Welcome back! Did you get my e-mail about the book suggestion? I can't remember if I sent it yesterday.

KKB said...

Yay!!! I'm so glad you're back. I wasn't one of the ones that emailed you nudge to come back...but I have thought of you often and checked in regularly.

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

I am glad you are back! Looking forward to reading again.

Enjoy your weekend!

Suburban prep said...

Plantar faciitis is no fun. I have had it for a number of years. I try to walk around in cute comfortable shoes. I recently found a pair of Propet Voyager walking shoes. They are a cross between Crocs and Skechers. You can use them as sandals as well. Like walking on clouds.

Glad to see you are back.

Katie Ryan said...

Nice to see you back.

so tired said...

Good to have you back. Yours is the very first blog I ever read way back when I first discovered this whole blogging thing.

I'm glad I decided to check back in with you and see if you had a new post!

I, too have plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I hobble around with that burning pain all the time.

Elizabeth H. said...

Wonderful!!!!!

Anne said...

Welcome back, MM. I can't wait to see pictures of the new puppy.

Sew Gracious said...

Great to see you back!!!

I can literally "feel your pain". I've suffered with plantar faciitis in the past and know how badly it can hurt! Glad you are finding some help and some relief!

KK said...

I am SOOOO glad you are back! I've missed your posts.

Pink Flamingo said...

YAY!! I'm so glad your are back, we sure did miss you!

Maggie said...

Plantar fascitis is a nasty thing. I have had great luck with Dansko clogs--the kind that have a back. Also, get orthotics made (or try the OTC Superfeet--any running store has them--first). I've had great luck buying running shoes for neutral feet and wearing the orthotics in them for suppport. For looking decent, Cole Haan's Nike Air line are the best things I've found. Good luck. Also check out www.heelspurs.com before you have surgery.

Buford Betty said...

So glad you're back!

Tippy said...

I have had plantar faciitis too (still kinda do) and it's awful. I feel your pain. My doc said most of us flip-flop addicts will have it sooner or later. I need to find some cute closed-heel shoes.

TCP said...

So glad to see you back!! :)

Miss Lulu said...

Welcome Back....I understand the need for a little retirement...Had to shut Lulu's down to deal with family stuff.

Hubby had the same ordeal with his foot. Doc told him to ice it quite at bit in the evenings...you might want to try it.

Preppy Lizard said...

So happy you are back!!

The Charmed Life Online said...

Yahoo! I am sooo happy to see you are back and doing well!

Monogram Momma said...

Thanks, guys! Well it sounds like I"m definitely in good company with my foot ailments. To answer all the suggestions, yes, I do ice is off and on throughout the entire day (was doing it at night but the Dr told my that wasn't enough), taking anti-inflamatories all day long and am supposed to be staying off it as much as possible. Most of the shoes for people with this problem, are, how can I put this??.... a bit tree-huggerish?? Ugh, I can't bear to wear most of them because they are so ugly! I have orthodics made for my foot as well but he said it's not going to be enough to solve the problem. I go back Thursday for another shot and more x-rays. He said in some instances it's better to just have the minimally invasive small surgery done because it is guaranteed results. And at this point, I am all about getting permanent results!

Tammy B said...

YAY!! You're back!! We've all missed you.

SG Monogram said...

Glad to hear your back! I love reading your blog.

Melanie said...

I love reading your blog and have missed you. I feel your foot pain. I think I also have P.F. I just love my flip flops too much to give them up.
Great to have you back!

creole cottage designs said...

You have been missed. I recently too went to Crocs beca use I work on my feet a lot. Have you seen the Alice style? I bought two pairs and have received compliments on them at work and I work with other interior decorators all day. They are less bulky and way more hip. They don't come in awesome colors like pink and green but they are cute.

Readings, Recipes and Rambles said...

I am totally hooked on Tile Towers....The Webkinz have taken over the house!!!!!!!!!

Monogram Momma said...

boo & hooties mom: I TOTALLY agree! I can't get enough of Tile Towers and Zingoz Pop (all the way at the bottom of the arcade games). Zingoz Pop is SOOOO addictive b/c you can average around $100 every single time! We might have to meet up in the Tournament Arena for some Dogbeard's Bathtub Battles!!

Beth said...

Glad you are back, I've been checking in frequently:)

Margaret said...

WOO HOOO!!! So glad you're back! :)

Gina said...

Yay! Glad you're back :)

Unknown said...

Welcome back!

I, too, have had foot issues lately. Have you tried the Oka B shoes? They are rubber/plastic like crocs, but come in cute styles. A friend's podiatrist sells/recommends them so I bought some and they are really comfy. The website is shoesthatloveyou.com and they are made in Georgia!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I just realized you are back- yay! Missed reading your blog. Can't wait to see pics of your pup!