10 October, 2007

Please tell Fall I'm looking for Him & He's Running Very Late!

With this ridiculously warm weather taking over the country this month, it makes it a tad difficult to get into the fall holiday spirit. I feel certain I’m not the only one, as it just isn’t as festive around my city and town this year as it typically is. Usually we’re donning our down vests, denimn jackets, and fleece pullovers by now, and as I type this I’m in a short sleeved tee and cropped jeans. This is my absolute favorite time of year, but yet I haven’t done a thing to get into the spirit yet or decorated the house as I typically do.

The same can be said for entertaining. It’s awfully difficult to want to whip out my chili recipe and start baking pumpkin seeds when it’s still in the 80’s outside. But luckily I stumbled on the perfect fall desert treat to compliment this unseasonably warm weather we’ve all been having. Naturally, we can all thank Martha for this one.



You Will Need
-4 navel oranges
-2 pints mango, passion-fruit, or orange sorbet, softened
-floral wire

Instructions

  1. Cut off the top quarter of each orange, and put to the side to use as lid. Using a grapefruit spoon or paring knife, scoop or cut out the inside of oranges. (Martha suggests reserving flesh for another use, such as fresh orange juice, but as much as I love Martha, lets get real and admit none of us are probably going to do that.)

  2. On a piece of paper, draw a jack-o'-lantern face. Tape the paper to your hollowed orange, and cut out features with a craft knife or paring knife. if you want, you can use an erasable marker and do it on the face of the orange, but just don't use permanent because we want this to look pretty.

  3. Finally, stuff each orange with the sorbet, and top it with a "lid" that you've been holding aside. Bend floral wire, and poke it in -- not through -- top of orange for the pumpkin's tendrils. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment (wax) paper, and place in the freezer until firm, about 30 minutes. The great thing about this too, is that these oranges with sorbet can be frozen for up to 3 days.

5 Comments:

hqm said...

I think fall is on it's way...I refuse to decorate for Halloween until we have some cooler weather!

Monogram Momma said...

I couldn't agree more!

MMM said...

I love your oranges!

tommie said...

It is still so hot here...I will definitely try that after the big party this weekend.

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

These are SO cute!