24 October, 2007

Last Minute Semi-Homemade Halloween Headdresses & Masks

Despite what my sitemeter says, I think there are about 5 of you still reading this blog. But regardless, I promised you a week of costume ideas so costume ideas you shall have. I realize that sometimes we find ourselves in the position of needing a costume but not necessarily wanting to go all out and deal with the hassle of a full-on head to toe costume. And some people (coughMyMom) just delight in answering the door in some sort of crazy mask, hat, or wig to doll out the candy to the ghosts and goblins ringing the bell on October 31st. I myself don’t particularly care to dress up, but since Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year, I do love to look festive in my orange and black and put on a great scarf or something fun on my head when I walk around the neighborhood with the kids.

So this year, in case you’ve got to come up with something quick and simple to get in that festive Halloween mood, here are a few things to consider that so simple and painless that even you self-professed non-crafters could do.


I love this! It's called Smile On A Stick and my mom bought a couple for the boys to have fun with. Contact them to find out where you can buy these locally.



An up-do with faux but realistic looking snakes? What's so hard about that?
From Martha

A fun rose petal hat that you can pull together with some fabric, scissors, floral tape and green floral wire. Adorable!
From Martha

This is what I, myself will be wearing to my little Halloween parties over the course of the next week. I think it's just the right amount of festive flair! All that's needed is a black headband, some 20 gauge craft wire, black paper and some scissors to cut out your bat shape.
From Martha

These masks cost less than $2 each! Honestly! I was at JoAnn's today and saw them, and all you need is some card stock to make your bird beak and glue it to the mask. Cover it with feathers and your done for less than $10.
P.S. Ashley, this is how you should do the Parrot face/head for Little Kid!
From Martha

So pretty! This is using the same inexpensive mask in the crafting/costuming section of your craft store and adding some beautiful faux fall foliage.
From Martha

Another take on the inexpensive mask. Pick up some faux flower petals and a little bit of glitter and glue. I know you guys can pull off this one!
From Martha

Something else I love. It looks to me like all they did was wrap some braided skanes of yarn around her head and affix it with some bobby pins to make it look like a beehive. A few leaves, a flower, and some little bumble bees and you're done. Very clever!
From Martha

How great would this be for your own version of The Devil Wears Prada? All you need for this one is some modeling clay to make the horns, some paint and glitter when they're dry, and a headband to glue them to.
From Martha



11 Comments:

KKB said...

Hey! We are making the bat headbands in our classroom party this year. I got the headbands from ribbonandbowsohmy.com. We are going to use pipe cleaners and colorful craft paper so we can make "happy" bats! Don't want to scare the kindergarteners! Happy Halloween! (BTW, I'm still reading everyday!)

sherri said...

I adore your blog. I can't wait to read it. I've gotten so many good ideas from you. I ordered shoes from By Paige and am thrilled. We have very similiar taste so it's always a given that I'll love your recommendations. Thanks for all of the enjoyment you provie.

Candids by Courtney said...

I am PROUD to say that I am one of your 5 subscribers to your blog. (I only have 2, my sister and myself! haha) I'm not even sure how I came upon your blog, but I definitely enjoy reading it!!!! Maybe it was your account of attending the Martha Stewart Show.

As far as costumes go, my son will be 1 in two weeks, so this Halloween is his first. I was up late last night finishing up his pirate costume. Not only his, but my best girlfriend's daughter who is 5 weeks younger. So the two of them are going as boy and girl pirates.

Keep up the great work. I'm a photographer, and only subscribe to a few blogs! My sister who's a journalism major at University of Florida, turned me onto this bloglines thing!!

-courtney

a. said...

I am one of the 5!

I love the Smile on a Stick :-)

Hemstitch & Hydrangea said...

I am just finding your blog recently and sooo love it! You are so creative- so not sure what your sitemeter is- or how it works- but I am one of your many fans and love your cute ideas!!

Keep em coming!

Monogram Momma said...

Thank you to my 5 fabulous readers! ;-)

Tammy B said...

I'm one of the 5. I read it everyday. I dont' comment very often.

Unknown said...

I'm one of your 5+ readers and I enjoy your sense of humor and your writing style. I also adore Martha and monograms and I'm from Atlanta. We have a lot in common. Keep the blog going. I look forward to it each day!!

Preppy Engineer said...

Cute ideas. I love your blog.

Suburban prep said...

Looks like there are more than 5 of us. I read your blog quite often.

Webmaster said...

Love the flower hat and the beehive!