19 June, 2007

Peaches + Tomatos = YUUUUUMMY!

I think it’s quite possible my family is going to turn into a grilled pizza one of these days. Remember when I told you about how much I loved doing my homemade grilled pizzas during the summer? Well, what can I say? When I get on a kick about something I really get on a kick (although it could also be that I hate change but whatever. I’ll work it all out in therapy next week).

So in order to pacify Mr. Monogram and add something new into my summer cooking repertoire, I whipped together a super delish tomato and peach salad. Stop making that horrible face, because seriously it was fantastic and so simple to throw together that I’m going to tell you how right now. It was a great compliment for my light grilled pizza, and would also be a great side for a grilled chicken or grilled fish dish.

Now, Originally I got this recipe from Southern Living (required reading for any Southerner I assure you) last month, but I didn’t like how they had theirs put together. They put their version together so it resembled more of a Caprese salad and I really wanted mine easier to serve and eat out of a bowl, more of a traditional salad, but with that twist of the peach. So I’ll just share with you how I put mine together.

Summer Tomato Salad with Fresh Peach-Basil Vinaigrette
Adapted by yours truly from: Southern Living

You Will Need
-1 LARGE red tomato
-1 LARGE yellow tomato
-1 LARGE peach (or 2 small/medium sizes)
-1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
-1 garlic clove, minced
-2tbsp. brown sugar
-1/4 tsp. salt
-2 tbsp. olive oil
-1 ½ tbsp. chopped fresh basil

Instructions
1) To start out, slice your tomatos in half horizontally, and de-seed as good as you can. This will make the salad less watery and more flavorful.

2) Once the tomatos have been de-seeded, chop them up and put them in your serving bowl. Set aside.

3) In a separate (small) bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, garlic clove, brown sugar, pepper, and salt until sugar has dissolved.

4) Once the sugar is dissolved, whisk in the olive oil.

5) Chop up your peaches just as you did with the tomato’s, and stir them into the dressing, as well as adding in the basil.

6) Once the chopped peaches and dressing are all mixed together properly, pour over chopped tomato’s, mix together, and serve.

I know what you're gonna ask next...Serving size. right? So let me tell you, when I did this I doubled everything for Mr. Monogram & I and it was enough for probably 6-8 reallly nice sized servings, but too much dressing. So I recommend doing it as laid out above to get 4 nice servings. And as a sidenote, let me say that this kept very well in my tupperware for leftovers the following day (read: my lunch). Just make sure you drain the dressing from the salad before storing and it will still be very tasty the following day.

19 Comments:

Libby said...

I am seriously swooning over here, that salad looks so devine!

Pigtown*Design said...

HAve you tried grilled peaches? Wonderful!

Monogram Momma said...

Fry it, grill it, marinate it, skin it, mash it, freeze it, I love all peaches!

Kim@The Polka Dot Press said...

Very yummy, indeed! I just picked up fresh peaches, roadside, on Sunday, so this will be happening at my house tomorrow! Thanks for sharing...

Unknown said...

Hi MM! I am just mortified to ask this question because everyone will then know I can't cook! Did you peel the skin off of the peaches or serve them with the skin on?

melissa said...

The salad sounds delish!! I have subscribed to Southern Living for many, many years - an all time favorite magazine of mine and every recipe I have tried has been a hit!

mcc

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

I've become so addicted to blogging, I haven't even looked at the past three months of all my magazines. This recipe shows me what I'm missing! I can't wait to try this salad- looks delish! THANKS!

CFB said...

That looks fantastic! I will definitely try it.

Unknown said...

I probably would have been skeptical at first but I'm a big fan of Newman's peach salsa so I know it's a good combination of flavors. I can't wait to try it!

SuburbanMom said...

Oh my goodness...I just love home made pizza!

Laurie Anne said...

Oooh, this looks good. Can't wait for my tomatoes to ripen. Thanks for sharing :0)

woof nanny said...

How interesting. I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm certainly up for trying it!

Wicked Good Dinner said...

This sound SO good! Even though we're just one state away from Georgia, the peaches in Orlando are, well, the pits :-( We're hoping to score big time at the farmers market over the weekend. If it's a yes for peaches, we're so making this salad!!!

Liz K said...

This is the most beautiful salad I've ever seen! I always keep a bowl of fresh fruit for a centerpiece on my breakfast table, but this puts my green apples to shame. If only I could apply decoupage medium and preserve the salad for decoration (but then I guess that takes the fun out of eating it!). Love it, MM!

DebbieDo said...

Ohhh that sounds so good. I'm going to try that.

Thanks!

Curly said...

DELISH!!! I'm making for dinner :)

Anonymous said...

Our local farmstand makes Peach Salsa. It's SPICY & deelish. Basically I think you could add some diced peaches to your favorite salsa & let it sit overnight. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!
I can't wait to try your recipe!!

Monogram Momma said...

Melissa: Sams Club has the BEST Mango salsa which is AMAZING, and my Kroger also has a Peach-Mango salsa that is sold in the "better cheese" section in the deli area. It is sooooooooooo amazing. That is what I put on the 10K grilled cheese sandwhich I wrote about a while ago and it has become a staple in our house!

THis is more of a regular salad though b/c it's cut in large chunks to eat w/ a fork. It's really light!

MMM said...

Sounds fabulous!