07 June, 2007

Not Your Everyday Father's Day Tie

I’ve hit a dead-end for Father’s Day ideas this year. Anyone else? It gets so boring giving the same ‘ol picture in a frame gift, but I don’t want to give anything too hokey either. I was definitely planning on giving Mr. Monogram some new cologne and a new swimsuit, but other than that, I’m at a loss. Typically I like to do something crafty or home-made as well (not that I really think he appreciates it, but the boys and I do have a fun time doing it!), but again my brain is giving me nothing.


So as I was cruising around on the internet, I found this super simple but great idea from Martha. This is great because 1) its very quick and easy to do 2) its monogrammed-which you know I love and 3) I think Mr. Monogram will love it. I was just telling my friend Cresta that I was going to start getting back into my needlework too, so jinx to you, Martha!

You Will Need
-1 new tie of your choice
-embroidery thread
-embroidery needle

Instructions
1) Using your computer (or freehand if you have nice penmanship), print up your monogram or initial to the preferred size.

2) If you opt to use the disappearing ink pen, then you will need to use an exacto knife to make a stencil out of the letter you just printed up. However, if you are using the hot iron transfer pencil (my preference when I do needlework), you will want to print your monogram backwards, then go over it with the pencil before placing it face down to iron the letter on.

3) Once the monogram is on the tie, all that’s left to do is embroider your design using a chain stitch.
Now, these are Martha's picts, not mine. But I will be working on a few this weekend so I'll show you my end result next week. Now I'm off to go buy the rest of my gifts. See you later!

13 Comments:

Unknown said...

Wow I love it! I'm also uber impressed you can do this. My favorite part was: "all that’s left to do is embroider your design using a chain stitch"...do you think the embroidery place in Walmart could do it instead? Because I am no Monogram Momma.

Anonymous said...

For those with time and some sewing skills, making the tie itself (or a collection of ties) for Fathers Day (or any special male occasiona) can prove quite a hit. For sewers, the project is quick and easy (you can churn out several a day). Tie patterns are available at any craft or fabric store, and you can use any fabric you want ranging from formal to fanciful (picture pink and green paisley or yellow and white daisies). I made a collection of five ties for my boyfriend's birthday a few years ago, and he loves them and wears them to events all the time!

Monogram Momma said...

Umm, notsomuch, Ashley. But stick with me and you'll be chainstitching before you know it (not to be confused with chainsmoking, which I will not be giving a tutorial on. Just FYI).

Lacey: great idea! Thanks for sharing that!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

OMG this is a great idea. I have never really embroidered before but how hard can it be? Of course, Martha makes everything look easy. I just might need to give it a try this weekend...

Anonymous said...

Hey MM,
I bought my stepfather a monogrammed Martini set for his birthday two years ago. I specifically got the shot measure monogrammed, because you hold that up to your face more than you do the actual shaker. Of course, you could get the whole set mono.

PS, I hope your mini's breathing is doing okay. With our drought going on down here in the south, I've been thinking of him while I take my own breathing treatments.

Liz K said...

You lost me at "chainstitch," but inspired me nonetheless. I'm going to opt for the lazy-girl's alternative: buy Vineyard Vines tie and take it to the monogramming shop close to my house (praised up and down on my blog). But naturally I'm going to tell my dad that I did it myself. White lies...

Libby said...

I love this idea, and I think my Dad would love the gift. I've never really embroidered anything before, do you think I could pull this off?

Monogram Momma said...

YES! libby you can totally do this. Embroidery is very simple. I see if I can find an online tutorial and put it up here. Otherwise I'll have to try to get Mr. M to photography me doing it this weekend.

Lincoln Park: great idea! LOL!

Jill said...

That's a great idea! Which do you prefer to do - first initial or last initial??

Melissa said...

I love these - Martha's look so fabulous! I think they are a bit out of the realm of my skills but I can't wait to see yours!

Marissa said...

Fabulous idea - thanks!

Monogram Momma said...

You are so sweet to think of him, Amber Lee. Thank you so much. He is doing surprisingly well. He had his regular monthly appt w/ his pulmonologist this morning but I had to reschedule it. Fingers crossed he continues smooth sailing!

Take care of yourself!

Monogram Momma said...

Cape Cod Mermaid: I think I prefer the last initial for this project.