05 June, 2007

Bag This Idea

Nothing quite says summertime like the ring of the bell from the ice cream man (or, ice cream "person" to be PC), heading down the street in his big white truck (although now that I'm a mother, why on earth do they always come around at dinner time? Can somebody please tell me this?). Who doesn't love that red, white, and blue Bomb Pop or the orange Push-up, the rainbow snow cone, or even the basic ice cream sandwich? With my affection for Rainbow Brite and Punky Brewster, I must admit I was a snow cone girl myself.


But still, nothing beats ice cream in the summertime. So that's why, when sister #2 passed this recipe along to me, I had to share it with you. Although it's the age of the super industrial Cuisinart ice cream maker à la Williams-Sonoma, I do recognize that not everyone owns this little gadget, but yet might still have the hankering for some home made ice cream. It's such a fun and simple way to make home-made soft serve ice cream, but yet without needing your own personal ice cream maker or ice cream man, for that matter.

Homemade Ice Cream in a Bag
From: Family Fun

Ingredients
-2 tablespoons sugar
-1 cup half and half
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/2 cup salt (The bigger the granules, the better. Kosher or rock salt works best, but table salt is fine.)
-Ice cubes (enough to fill each gallon-size bag about half full)
-1 pint-size ziplock bag
-1 gallon-size ziplock bag

1. Combine the sugar, half and half, and vanilla extract in the pint-size bag and seal it tightly.

2. Place the salt and ice in the gallon-size bag, then place the sealed smaller bag inside as well. Seal the larger bag. Now shake the bags until the mixture hardens (about 5 minutes). Feel the small bag to determine when it's done.

3. Take the smaller bag out of the larger one, add mix-ins, and eat the ice cream right out of the bag. Easy cleanup too! Serves 1.

Now, just remember, big white goofy looking ice cream truck and very loud high pitched little bell not included.

19 Comments:

Unknown said...

What a fun idea! And I get ice cream out of it!! And it counts towards educating/playing with/entertaining the kids!

I love it! Thanks!

Sisters with Style said...

This sounds like a really fun idea. My kids would love to do this. Thanks for the idea.

Head Hen said...

Fun! This would be great at the beach--or at the beach house rather (less sand)!

lisagh said...

Awesome idea, but I will not be coming back to read this post again. Last thing I need is even easier access to one of my biggest vices! YUM!

Monogram Momma said...

Don't worry-No offense taken, Lisagh.

CG said...

This sounds really yummy and easy! There's nothing like some old fashioned ice cream. Thanks for the recipe.

N said...

Terrible ice cream vices aside, this is such a fun idea! I can't wait to show my nephew.

lisagh said...

Dammit! I came back. Mmm... ;)

Anonymous said...

When I did this with kids at chuch, I learned that you have to have some resistance to frostbite - my hands were bright red when we were done!

Oh yeah, and Rainbow Brite rocks, but not as much as My Little Ponies.

CelinaJ said...

Just what I need, another reason to have ice cream! :) Seriously though, great idea!!!

Snappy Casual Snippets said...

This is off the current subject and I have never posted here before, but have read your blog several times. Anyway, I thought about you Friday night when I was watching Paula's party. I had read on your blog that you like to watch that too. It was soooo funny. Anyway, I just wanted to mention it b/c if you missed it you need to catch it at a later date. The topic was grilling vs. frying.

Meg said...

That's ingenious, but I do have a special place in my heart for the ice cream truck. It just tastes better that way.

Sarahviz said...

Yummy!
And yep, the ice cream truck in our neighborhood comes at 5:00 on the dot! Soooo annoying.

Liz K said...

This is so great! My niece and nephew are staying with us for the weekend and I'm making lists and lists of activities to keep them entertained (and hopefully so overstimulated that they'll sleep through the night). I'll let you know how our ice cream experiment goes!

k e r r y said...

This is a must project for us this summer... 7 days left until the kids are out of school and I am looking for projects! Thanks!

tommie said...

we are going to the beach in Aug....this sounds like a great idea for the kids! Thanks!

tulipmom said...

I remember doing this with my campers one summer. They absolutely LOVED it!

Anonymous said...

Yum & sounds SUPER easy!!! I have always seen those ice cream balls (sold at LLBean or other stores with camping stuff) & wondered how it tasted. My parents have an ice cream maker & I do remember that homemade ice cream being SUPERB - especially when made with fresh fruit (makes you feel like it's somewhat healthy, right?)

Elizabeth H. said...

I just made some. Yum!