04 June, 2007

Vacation Book Review (Is there ANY Chick-Lit I haven't read?)

Would you believe in my 12 days of vacation I read 6 books? Whew! I began by taking 4 and not allowing myself to start any of them until we were at the beach, but the next thing I knew I had already gone through all of them and we had to make a detour on the road to stop at another bookstore for me. Now, having heard from quite a few of you who, I know you are anxious to hear my review of what I've read, so here goes for my Preppy reading picks.




Target Underwear and a Vera Wang Gown LOVED LOVED LOVED this book! I was a tad skeptical as I started the first chapter, but it only took a few more pages for me to fall in love with this book. It's sarcastic, funny, and also a little sad in a few parts, but overall this book will give you a great ride down memory lane in your own closet. I dare you not to see yourself in some point of this book.







Shopaholic & Baby Another good one by Sophie Kinsella! Her humor and quick wit remind me why I fell in love with the title character, Becky Bloomwood when she began the Shopaholic series. You just had to know Becky would be donning the most stylish maternity fashions and vying for the biggest and best cribs and strollers! So yes, another fun read in the series that you shouldn't miss.





Bright Lights, Big Ass Jen Lancaster quickly became my favorite author about halfway into Chapter 1 of her last book, Bitter is the New Black. Again, she does not disappoint and this book is highly entertaining and sarcastic and will have you laughing out loud as it follows Jen through her journey writing her first book, moving (again!), more crazy neighbors, and trying to stomach Fletch's cooking and affection for Rachel Ray (which she doesn't share, btw). As a daily reader of her blog, I recognized a little of the material from there, but overall it was all new stuff. Bitter is still my favorite, but don't miss out on adding this one to your beach bag.




Jack's Widow I don't know why, but this one was just okay for me. There were parts I loved, then parts that were really slow. Not great, but definitely not bad. What's really neat is that you have to keep reminding yourself which facts are real and which are Fiction. The book is a work of fiction based on real people and events surrounding JFK's assassination. The author does a lot of jumping around so that sort of wore on me a bit. But if you love Jackie and stories of Camelot, this is a great book for you that will stretch your imagination. Sort of a "what if"....





Dress Your Family in Corduroy & Denim I had high hopes for David Sedaris, the author of this book. I'd heard so much about his books, how funny he is, and well, we all know what a riot his sister Amy is. But I was really disappointed in this. It was a little boring to me and lost my interest, but since it is a collection of memories and short stories, it's very easy to pick up and put back down again. Now, a friend of mine has listened to him on NPR and says he's really funny if you listen to him tell these stories in his own voice, but in my head? Not so much.






Goodbye, Jimmy Choo Yet again, I picked a novel based solely off the cover art. Well, wouldn't you if it was this cute? However, if I'd bothered to really read the cover, i would have known this is a British novel. It's pretty cute and kitschy as well as very predictable, but it's very heavy in British slang and that really got on my nerves. But overlooking all that, it wasn't too bad. I don't really think the title is appropriate for the story, but whatever. It's not my book.





So, now I'm out of books. I need to start my June selection for Chick-Lit Book Club, but other than that, does anyone have any good ones to recommend? Leave 'em in comments, please! ;-)

19 Comments:

melissa said...

Great to see your book reviews. I read tons and also do reviews on my blog. Lately (the last year or so) I have been so into reading memoirs. You can check out my blog for some book suggestions. I post them all with remarks on my sidebar. Email me (mccaligiuri@aol.com) if you'd like and I will give you the password!

Thanks,
Melissa

Southern jezeBelle said...

you should try citizen girl and dedication both by emma mclouglin and nicola kraus (authors of the nanny diaries).

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reviews! I agree that Sedaris is better on audio. I checked out all his books on CD from my local library, and laughed all over town listening in my car!
Check out Paula Deen's autobiography. My Momma says it is wonderful. I'm saving it for my beach trip at the end of this month.

Tammy B said...

I loved Bright Lights, Big Ass. Jen Lancaster doesn't disappoint. I read a lot and am always looking for something fun to read.

Unknown said...

I was going to tell you about the most recent books I've read but I just realized I took the recommendations from your book reviews! "Elements of Style" by Wendy Wasserstein is a good one. I've also just started "Eat, Pray, Love" and so far that's good too.

Suburban prep said...

I just picked up two books at the store today. They are Good Things by Mia King and Life is a Beach by Claire Cook. Claire Cook wrote Must Love Dogs.
I read a ton all year but more in the Summer due to the fact that I don't have the knitting needles in my hand and there isn't as much on the tv.
Thanks for the suggestions on other reads.

Pigtown*Design said...

I am reading the Jack's Widow and am at a really slow part. Love the Shopaholic books!

Sisters with Style said...

I just read Julie and Julia: A year of cooking dangerously. (I think that's the title) It's really witty and funny. It's about a girl who decides to cook every recipe out of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a year and her comments and stories about it. She's a great writer and her stories are funny and chaotic, as you can imagine.

Mrs. Preschool said...

Thanks for the update on the books. I think I'm going to pick one up this weekend!

SLC said...

How on earth did you manage to read SIX books in 12 days with two little ones?

Marissa said...

Fabulous review of some really fun books... thanks for the tips! I just finished "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls and LOVED it! It's not "chic-lit" but because it is a memoir you find yourself in amazement that this is really true. Highly recommend.

I just bought "Babyville" by Jane Green, I thought it was a fitting title ;)

I'll let you know how it is. Welcome back!

Monogram Momma said...

SLC: LOL! Thankfully the boys are really self-sufficient when we're on the beach and just like playing in the sand for about 6 hours a day so that makes it easy for me to get in lots of reading! At night when they go to bed at 8, I sit in one of the adirondack chairs on the back porch and watch the waves and just read.

PR: I read The Glass Castle last summer and LOVED it. SUCH an amazing book. I had to keep reminding myself that it was all TRUE it just seemed to unbeleivable. I also read Babyville last summer and it's very cute! I think you'll like Jane Green. You will also like "Cocktails for Three" as well so give that one a try too!

Carey said...

As a new reader of your blog I am unsure if you have already read my suggestions, but here ya go.

Little Lady Agency & Little Lady, Big Apple by Hester Browne - British set but like the Shopaholic series.

Cinderella Pact - Sarah Strohmeyer

Givenchy Code, Manolo Matrix, & Prada Paradox by Julie Kenner, a series about great fashion, a computer game gone real life, and great fashion - can't get enough of that can we;)

I am going to have to check out your recommendations - they sound great.

Glad you had a good time on vacation.

Carey

Britt said...

Loved Bright lights, just picked up Vera Wang Gown, - its been on my list forever...I felt the same way about the Jimmy Choo British book, I didn't know what they were talking about half the time! I just also picked up Cassandra King's Queen of Broken Hearts (she's Pat Conroy's wife and heard her books are good summer reads!)

Tanya Hyman said...

Hey-
I've gotta pick up some of your books - they look fun! Here are a couple that I've enjoyed lately:

Yummy Mummy (new moms in London)
Little Children (steamy play dates)
The Thirteenth Tale (a fun mystery)
Jane Eyre (classic chick lit)

I haven't read any of them but the "Shopaholic" series has been highly recommended to me.
p.s. - Hope to see you at the next Baby Loves Disco on June 16th!

Sarahviz said...

How about Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner (or any of her books, for that matter!)

I'm also reading Little Children by Tom Perotta right now--I can't put it down!

Happy reading!

Jen said...

I love Marian Keyes. Her last one- Anyone Out There? was very good. It is one book of several about Irish sisters and their sagas.

Lady Tramaine said...

S.W.A.G.- Southern Women Aging Gracefully by Melinda Rainey Thompson.
She is a hoot and her 2nd book is due out in September.

Burrus Boys said...

Found you through Ashley's Closet. Funny since it appears to usually be the other way 'round. I really appreciate your list of books as I have only managed to read one in the last 6 months. That one was "The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets" by someone whose name I forget, and it was wonderful. Please keep up the good work!