12 February, 2007

Candy Topiary

Are we the only ones on the planet who just don’t make that big of a deal over Valentines Day? I always do a few little things for the boys, but Mr. Monogram and I have never really bought into the whole Valentines Day thing. We usually just grab dinner out and I make a special desert or something. Last year I filled a large glass vase with the jumbo sized candy hearts, and inserted a smaller vase down in the center. I put a nice little floral arrangement in it and left it in his office on his credenza while he was out. Voila. Sometimes the little gestures are the best ones (especially on an overrated “holiday” like Valentines Day).

But this year I thought I’d try something new. After watching the fabulous Dylan Lauren, owner of famed Dylan’s Candy Bar (oh, and not to mention, daughter of Ralph Lauren) on Martha a couple weeks ago, I loved the little gift baskets she brought with her. One in particular, I was most excited to try my hand at. Her candy topiary.

You Will Need
One 7-inch flower pot (I painted mine gold)

One 6-inch Styrofoam ball

1 Styrofoam cone (18-inches-tall-by-6-inches-wide)

One 18-inch long, 3/4-inch diameter dowel

4 to 5 bags of assorted fun-sized candy bars

1 pound twist wrapped candies

Hot Glue Gun

Glue Sticks

1. Place Styrofoam ball inside flower pot.

2. Force dowel through Styrofoam ball inside flower pot. Poke hole into cone.

3. Add glue to dowel and affix cone to dowel.

4. Make sure the glue gun is on the low setting; a high setting will crinkle the wrapper.

5. Begin attaching the first row of candy to the bottom of the cone.

6. Make sure all the wrappers line up and that they extend about 1/2-inch below the base of the cone. Hold the candy in place until it is secure to the cone.

7. Start the second row of candy: Apply glue toward top of the wrapper, making sure there is a slight overlap between the first and second row of candy (like roof shingles).

8. Continue gluing candy in rows around the cone all the way to the top. When the cone is completely covered with candy, fill the bottom of the pot with the wrapped candies of your choice (such as Bit O’ Honey, Jolly Ranchers, Laffy Taffy, or Double Bubble Gum).

Seriuosly folks, this was super easy, and fun! It also didn’t take a long time so it’s something you can do while you’re watching tv and relaxing. Here’s how mine turned out. Cute, right?! Well I thinks so, but now I just have to figure out A) how to hide this thing and B) how to get it over to his office on Wednesday morning by myself!

9 Comments:

Melissa C Morris said...

having all that candy around would be far too dangerous for me -- i'm afraid mine would be a wrapper tree.

Marsha said...

Cute! My husband's away all week so we're postponing our generally low-key "celebration" until he returns. That gives me a couple days to see if I can pull something like this off - and what's not to love? He gets candy and I get more craft supplies to add to my stash. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Monogram Momma said...

That is a very good point, Mel, but since I don't have much of a sweet tooth I haven't thought about the candy tree once!

But you know, you could always blame on little Monty since, after all, he DID jump on the table to have his way with a floral arrangement once before!

Marsha this is really easy! I will say I thought I'd bought too much candy and only ended up having about 3 pieces left over so I really used more than I thought I would. Wouldn't it make a cute table centerpiece though too? Or something fun to bring to bunco this week?!

OhhMy Gifts & Things said...

I love the candy tree. My office would destroy it in two seconds flat. Better let go of it quick or you could lose fingers here.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Mel that's really funny!

MM, what a 'sweet' (heh heh!!) idea! Mr M will love it!

CG said...

Your candy tree looks so yummy! What a fun project. I actually do up VD for others more than I do for the husband. I guess b/c I like to do cutesy things and he could care less. This year I did get him a gift though.

Cloggsy said...

What a great idea, although, I know that if I were to make one, there would be no candy left to put on the tree!!

Meg said...

Oh dear God. I don't think the candies would make it to the topiary. I'd be all, "Oh, I'll just snack on one while I ram this stick into this foam ball." and then they'd be gone. That's exactly why we don't buy Halloween candy until actual Halloween. Those little candies get me every time.

DebbieDo said...

YEAH! Thanks for the idea, I made one for my valentine, my DH.

Thanks, Debbie