13 December, 2006

My Christmas Miracle

Do you ever have just one of those days?

Earlier today I was chit chatting in email with her royal preppy princess, telling her that I just returned home from clawing my way through an inflatable obstacle course with two 4 yr olds and a 3 yr old. Let's just say I'm a *tad* out of shape for this sort of thing. When I finally thought I was in the homestretch, I came around the corner to an inflatable rock climbing wall. Which, btw, is the only way to reach the top of the slide to slide down to exit. It's all a bit hazy now, but I feel fairly certain a few profanities came out of my mouth. Oh well. Thank god that's over.

Fast Forward to this afternoon, after the play date and after the naps. I had a great 2 hour nap myself though today thanks to that inflatable work out. So we get up from naps and everything is all great and fine until I come down to the kitchen and notice my wedding set (both my diamond engagement ring AND diamond wedding ring) are missing from the glass I had placed them in while I was doing dishes earlier. Hmm. Very strange. And when I walked over to the actual glass to pick it up and look around it for my jewelry, I noticed that in the glass, in the place of my diamond baubles, was a rock. A BIG. DIRTY. YARD ROCK. What was this? Like, a trade? Well I’m all for trading up my diamond but um, no, I will NOT be substituting it for a dirty rock thank you very much.

So I not so calmly raced upstairs skipping stairs, taking them 2 or 3 at a time. This is no small feat when you are maybe 5’2 on a good, non sneaker wearing day, mind you. Anyway, out of breath, I reach the top of the stairs and give mini #1 the 2nd degree. He is clueless about where my rings are, but is giving me a sneaky little smirk so truthfully, I wasn’t really buying what he was selling if you know what I mean. Race back downstairs, look around again. Maybe I’m just not seeing them. Maybe they are blending in with the counters. Maybe they’re on the floor! No. No. and No again. Grab a sippy cup with milk for mini #2 (this is how I plan to woo the information out of him, you see) and race back up the stairs, again, skipping 2 and 3 at a time. Note to self: Get to gym. You are completely beyond the point of being out of shape after today.

So I get mini #2 up from his nap and our conversation goes like this (remember, he’s just turned 3)…

ME: Mini? Did you take mommy’s pretty sparkling jewelry out of this cup? (Showing him the glass and shaking it in the air)

HIM: shaking his head no…

ME: Are you SURE you didn’t take mommy’s pretty rings out of this little cup I’m holding??? (Shaking faster and higher now, in case he missed it the first time)

HIM: YES! (He says this time with great enthusiasm, throwing his arms into the air as if his team has just scored a touchdown)

ME: (thinking to myself. EXCELLENT.)

ME: Well okay then tell mommy where you put them! (in a nervous high-pitched mom voice, trying to squash my anger so the perp doesn’t go mute on me)

HIM: The horsy has it!! (Very big brown eyes at this point telling me this)

NOTE: Obviously I do not have a horse or you would have heard about it by now.

ME: Well can you tell mommy where the horsy is? Where is horsy?! (very sweetly and also a little concerned that my child all of the sudden has an imaginary horse that has eaten my wedding set and how on EARTH am I going to explain this all to Mr. Monogram when he gets back in town????!?!?!)

HIM: In the garage!! (Again, lots of excitement at the word “garage” and arms thrown high into the air. He has just scored)

So faster than a speeding bullet, monogram momma is now racing out to the garage to look for something horse-like. I should warn you now. We have a 3-car garage that is chalk-full of boxes and who knows what else, just to give you a visual (although at least my car fits in there). OKAY THEN. But lo and behold, I spot a Radio Flyer ride-on horse that the boys have outgrown. One of those things they jump up and down on and “ride.” After frantically searching, all the while desperately praying to St. Anthony, I found my rings, separated like twins at birth, one in one place, the other in another place. In. The. GARAGE.
ON.
THE.
FLOOR.

So my heart, an hour later, was still beating a million times a minute and that boy has NO idea how lucky he is that his life was just spared. But THANK YOU ST. ANTHONY for my Christmas miracle today!

Maybe I need to ask for another little monogrammed jewelry box for Christmas, just to keep in the kitchen.

20 Comments:

J said...

I am sooooo glad you found them! What a scare!

Unknown said...

Wow -- close call! Glad they're back safe and sound... just what you need this time of year, more stress!

Susan Dench said...

Poor MM, that must have given you an absolute heart attack! Those little stinkers - I'm just happy they didn't flush them!

Elizabeth H. said...

Whoa! That is a scary one.

Libby said...

Oh. My. God. MM, you possess powers of self control that are right off the charts!

Susan said...

I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but your conversation with mini was fun to read:) Way to go keeping your calm with him!

Monogram Momma said...

Ok, it was REALLY not funny at the time, although today,a fter I have calmed down and can relive this memory like the lighting fast blur that it was, I'll admit, it was pretty humorous.

svbeatie, you are not kidding about being lucky those things didn't get flushed! We have already had James the Train's tender flushed down the toilet at our previous house so I am pretty lucky I don't have to explain an expensive plumbing bill PLUS missing wedding rings to Mr. M when he gets back into town!

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine the heart failure!!!! Glad you found them!

Anonymous said...

Phfshewy!

Anonymous said...

and to think I thought your husband was upgrading them...hence, the rock in their place and the rings being at the jewelry store...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found your rings! That is a really funny story though. The side note regarding the horse made me laugh outloud.

Marissa said...

What a relief that you found your rings! I was running out to the garage with you... but I have to admit, Mini has good taste in animals ;)

Sarah said...

Oh goodness, I about had a heart attack just thinking about ever losing my engagement ring... What a relief you found them!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This was a great story, I was literally on the edge of my seat. And I'm glad to hear that someone else seriously prays to St. Anthony. He's gotten me out of a pickle or two in the past :)

Bossy Bar-Wife said...

Oh my gosh...I am so glad you found them! I wish I could have seen it all unfold!

Monogram Momma said...

Leave it to Preppy Rider to see the silver lining in this horsy story!

And Sharp Lilly, you are NOT KIDDING about St. Anthony. There is very good reason he was indeed Sainted!

Meg said...

I love this story. This is one for the ages. Your little guy will probably have to hear you retell it on the night of his rehearsal dinner. Glad the rings are safe!

Ok, before the commotion started, were you by chance at a place called "Pump It Up"? I can totally relate to your experience wherever you were. A birthday party from my not too distant past took me there with my 4 year-old and about 30 other kids. My guy needed help to get up the inflatable climbing walls, too. Somehow the other kids were just a tad bigger...like 5-6 years...and they could manage it themselves. Their parents sat around and talked while I was diving down slides and hoisting my son up the walls. My hair was like a science experiment by the end of the afternoon, with all the static electricity.

a. said...

This really was a cliffhanger!

Anonymous said...

Thank GOD you found them! What a story! And even while I was reading it, all tense and nervous and hoping things would turn out well in the end I was thinking how cute Mini#2 was!! The substituted rock was classic!

You just have to tell that story on his wedding day!