14 December, 2006

Gratifying Garland

So, are we all decorated yet? The mantle, the entryway, the lights outside, the tree, the front door? Anyone really go hog wild and put that wreath on the front of their car? Or how about the garland on the roof rack? Wasn't that you I saw with the reindeer antlers attached to the driver and passenger side windows, and a big red nose on the front grill of your minivan? I know there’s one or two of you out there driving around, waiting in the car pool lane or driving to work and with your car all decked out for the holidays. Don’t deny it. Secretly, I’ve always wanted to do it but I’m just a tiny bit afraid. Of what, I don’t know. This list of things to discuss and dissect in therapy sure is getting longer by the day though, isn’t it?

SO I know what you’re thinking. It’s a little too late to still be talking about decorating for the holidays, monogram momma. Well, no, no it’s not. It’s never too late! There are lots of people who aren’t so type A as I am, and like to wait things out. They like to wait for the prices of the Christmas trees to drop as it gets closer to Christmas, and heck, some people even wait until Christmas Eve. My dad grew up in such a household. My grandparents never allowed a tree in the house before Christmas Eve, and my grandmother still follows that tradition (in case you’re wondering, my parents never followed that same tradition themselves and we always had our tree up early). And also, some of you may be waiting to have the freshest garland and tree’s and clippings and so forth as you possible can because you are planning on hosting a holiday soiree. Completely understandable. I mean, don’t think for a minute that Martha isn’t outside in her own yard cutting fresh boxwoods and picking fresh berries to make her own garland for her holiday party the day of (at least in my Martha holiday fantasy that is what she is doing anyway. But in this same fantasy, I am also in the garden with her and invited to the party, but that’s a whole other story. I digress).

So whether you are a little late getting started (and truly, it really isn’t that late), or specially decorating for an upcoming holiday party, something you might want to give some extra thought about, is your garland. Sure, we can all run into Target and pick up pre-lit faux garland. Even monogram momma has used that herself down the entry foyer, swaged with faux fruit and pretty bows (as a side note, I do prefer real boxwood garland, but it was difficult to find this year for some reason so I had to go with plan B). But garland isn’t just for the front door or banister either. And if you’re still looking for some ways to spruce up your home for the holidays, then look no further.


Earthy Garland This is simple and earthy. It's been added here as part of the window treatment to a bedroom. If you're expecting company over the holidays, what nice way to bring the festivities to all rooms in your home!


Traditional Garland Classic and traditional. This is just what monogram momma ordered. Pretty and elegant and so versatile it will go with any decor by changing out the bow. I must say though, I ADORE that pop of gold against the red stair runner and red bench! Magnifico!

Ribbon Garland How gorgeous is this? This is, actually, my favorite decorative garland I came accross this season. I love the sheer gossamer and silk ribbons, the ivory, gold, with that touch of mossy green and red. GORGEOUS! This would make an amazing banaster garland as shown, but also draped around your dining room table for Christmas dinner, or your buffet table for your own soiree you've got planned. This would be so easy to just lightly tack it to the table cloth with a needle and thread (without damaging your linens), or even pin it around the table.

Gingerbread Garland So simple but so cute. If you are having that homespun or country christmas, or even just looking for something cute and kitschy, this is probably right up your alley. Adorn this on teh mantle, swaged from your stocking hooks, or again, on the buffet table. This is particularly cute if you are hosting a holiday cookie swap with friends and neighbors.


Mitten Garland You know all those lonely mittens you can never find the match too? Well at least now we know what to do with them. This is another great homespun idea that would look really cute at the mantle, or in the kitchen or down thr front stairway. If you want to take this idea beyond Christmas and last through the wintertime, adorn this cute mitten garland on an inexpensive yet versatile grapevine wreath and leave it up all winter long.


8 Comments:

Suburban prep said...

Your ideas are priceless. Thanks.

Bossy Bar-Wife said...

I love that ribbon garland too! And how nice not to have to sweep/vacuum up pine needles every 10 minutes!

Melissa said...

That ribbon garland is FABULOUS! So beautiful and unique, yet it looks really simple to do. I mean why did I never think of that before? Also love the gingerbread and mittens.

a. said...

I like them all!!!

Anonymous said...

All beautiful! I am going out to cut holly and ivy today to try to copt the second one!

Monogram Momma said...

Spymum I hope you'll send pictures so we can see! Not to mention, I am jealous you can just hop outside in jolly old England and cut this fresh like you are Martha herself! ;-)

Susan Dench said...

I do the wreath on the car thing, but yesterday I actually saw for the first and only time someone with a white minivan and the nose and antler treatment - we were laughing our heads off!

Anonymous said...

I will, I promise!!!