06 November, 2006

The Times, They Are A Changing

You may not notice, but there is a slight change in the atmosphere at monogram momma’s today. What is it exactly? Well I’m skipping along just a little bit lighter today because of it, for one. We parted our ways on Friday afternoon for me to go and become all grown up over the weekend. Ta-Da! Just like that I’ve matured into the new Beta Blogger version so I am hoping (fingers crossed, people) that this alleviates a lot of my recent blogger induced headaches. So as any good hostess would do, let me take you on a little tour around the new features here at monogram momma’s and with any luck, you will like what you see and feel a little more at home here.

So come on in, take your shoes off and make yourself comfortable as I show you around a bit. Oh, and by all means, let me know if you’ve got any questions or suggestions for how to make it a little more welcoming here at monogram momma’s.

1) Sidebar: I can only hope that my now you see it, now you don’t mysteriously moving sidebar issue will be solved by this upgrade. I mean seriously, how annoying has THAT been? So while you will still see my regular little side notes, the most notable addition is the addition of a Categories section now. Yippie!! I know you are jumping for joy as much as I am over this, as I have heard your requests and come to the rescue. The addition of categorized topics should make it much easier for you to go back and reference a project or site or suggestion. Now, what do the categories mean? Well some of them are pretty self-explanatory, but here is a little break-down of some of the other ones that may seem a tad fuzzy.

Book Club: Recommended (or even not recommended) reading. We seem to have a big reading crowd here so I think it’s fair to assume I’ll be re-addressing the topic of books from time to time.

Good Things: Basically, if it’s been on my list of “Things I Love Today” or been one of my “brilliant” ideas (yes, I’m using that term very loosely), or even been a gift suggestion/recommendation, then you can find it under good things.

Misc.: Most likely these are the babbling posts I’ve put out that have nothing important or worthwhile contained in them other than my summer tanning plans and boring days cleaning the house. So if you really feel the need to go re-visit these posts (why you would want to, is beyond me though), you can find them here.

Monogramming: anything and everything about monogramming. Monogramming ideas, sites, products, and rules.

Stationery: Basically if it’s made of paper, looks like paper, smells like paper or even resembles a paper-type product (wrapping paper included), you can find it here. You got it, this includes invitations and announcements too.

Also in the sidebar, you will notice the expansion of my blogroll and site list. Consider this my disclaimer that these will be a continued work in progress. You’ll also notice that I’m now disclosing that I read quite a lot of blogs every day. And if you’ve linked to me, I’ve tried very hard to link back to you but please, by all means, if I’ve forgotten you, please let me know (BTW, if you are a mom of one little baby boy living in AL and an Auburn Alum and you read and have linked to my blog before, please let me know! I’ve been hunting you down since I first found your blog but now I can’t find you! Help if that’s you!)

This also, is by all means NOT, I repeat, NOT a complete list of sites I recommend. If you are looking for a particular type of site, such as stationery, then I suggest you go up to the stationery category where you will find lots of different recommendations for stationery or invitations, moving announcements or calling cards, etc. Honestly, there are just too many sites I love and contain in my favorite’s folder to keep on the sidebar, which is yet another reason this list will be a work in progress. As always, I'm open to suggestions to make it easier to navigate for you guys.

Beyond the site and blogroll list, you will also notice that the monthly archives are now fully expandable. Horray! I know; no more guessing which post is in which month and on what day, right? We all need to send Blogger a little thank you note for that one.

Okay so I guess the sidebar is really the biggest difference to you guys, depsite there being lots of *exciting* behind the scenes changes for me. In fact, all changes can be seen in the actual sidebar. But before I suggest a few highly recommended new blog-reads for you, I need to ask for your help. As I mentioned, the sites and blogroll lists will be a work in progress. I really think I need to organize them a little better like break them up into categories for Preps & Crafters, etc. but can’t think of anything clever! For instance, if you head on over to Preppy Rider, she’s got her lists organized with cute titles such as “The Barn” and “The Tack Shop” and it’s so cute! SO please folks, I could really use some suggestions for cute little sidebar subtitles. I would be most appreciative.

Like I mentioned, I also wanted to share with you a few blogs that you may not know about. If you’ve been reading my blog for any significant period of time then you most likely know about my long-term faves such as the Preppy Princess, May December, Preppy Guy, the EMG, English Tea, and Grosgrain Garage just to name a few. But there are quite a few other newer ones that really deserve some attention and have me laughing out loud on a daily basis. And really, what kind of person would I be if I didn’t share them with you?

1. Bossy bar Wife: Bossy + Bar + Wife= OH. SO. FUNNY. I can really appreciate the ramblings of this bossy bar wife as I too, have been known to be just a *tad* bossy from time to time. Well okay so that’s not entirely true. Mr. Monogram calls it “nagging” and tells me I sound like “an old fish wife.” And okay so it’s debatable whether or not I’m actually old per say and I don’t even like fish, and I know for certain I’m not a fish wife, but the bar wife is in fact a real bar wife with some funny stories (such as a haunted fan and deep and abiding love for Beverly hills 90210) so make sure you check her out.

2. PoshMum: Think British super sleuth mom on the sly, taking notes, rolling her eyes and cocking a smirk at all the snotty posh mum’s at her kid’s pre-prep who think they’re better than all the other mum’s on the playground. I love her. I want to be her American sister (ok well hers and Martha’s) and I applaud her for her rendition of “Mean Girls” grow up and have kids. SpyMum, I’d be happy to run carpool with you any day of the week! P.S. I totally envision you in a khaki Burberry trench, coyly smirking behind big Jackie O type sunglasses for some strange reason???

3. Jennsylvania: The blog that started it all. NY Times best selling author of Bitter is the New Black, Jen Lancaster, continues her sarcastic commentating on love, life, family, and career while working on her second novel, Bright Lights, Big Ass. She is an absolute RIOT and if you haven’t read her book yet, RUN out and buy it and be prepared to get a SERIOUS laugh!

4. Oh Joy!: a craft blog that the Preppy Princess turned me on to and I can’t thank her enough! If you love Martha and all things creative, craft, and inspiring, then add this to your daily tour of blogs.

5. Huey Thinks: This, I must admit, is a last minute addition. Many thanks to the PP for finding this one! Huey is a friend of the ultra-hairy, four legged variety and I think you all know how much I love my preppy puppy, so now, in addition to Monty Mondays, she will have life with Huey to read about. She is most excited.

And that pretty much wraps up our tour for today. Thank you for joining us, and please don’t forget to gather your belongings on your way out ( I mean, it really would be silly if you up and left your shoes here, no?). Unfortunately the gift shop is closed today for renovations but perhaps on a return visit it will be up and running. Oh, but while I’m at it and before you leave, can I offer anyone a drink? I would hate for you to feel rushed out the door so sit down, (no shoes on the coffee table please) and stay a while! And don’t forget to let me know if you’ve got any clever ideas and snarky little subtitles for my sidebar because lord knows I am fresh out of bright ideas for today.

11 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I just made the switch to beta too although I'm not as saavy as you and have not been able to figure our the new features yet - maybe today I'll make an attempt.

Love the labels and categories, looks great!

Monogram Momma said...

BRING IT ON, Erin. BRING. IT. ON.Be forewarned that MM Plays to win!

a. said...

Sometimes change is good. I too am looking forward to Girls in the Know!

Unknown said...

I'm just a baby blogger, but I loved the tour. Came to your site through May December and am having a ball! You're a great hostess. :)

Allie_in_Ga said...

Looks great! You didn't even need my help!

Anonymous said...

looks so good, i just made the switch and am trudging through the tech stuff, maybe you can do a how-to post on updating your blog lay out :)

Bossy Bar-Wife said...

Hey Momma! Thanks for mentioning me, you're such a lovely girl. Your blog looks great! So organized, I love it!

Pink Cupcakes said...

Good Luck with Blogger Beta - we haven't had any probs with it!!!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, your blog (and mainly just your blog) is the reason why my exam studying does not get done. :)

Monogram Momma said...

Glad you guys like the new improvements!

Marissa said...

Thank you for the mention!