20 July, 2006

Summer Reading (even Martha would enjoy!)

If you haven’t figured it out already, the mini monograms go to a summer camp on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so most of my free time on those days is spent running errands, shopping, lunching with friends, etc. I mean seriously, do you have any idea how much work it is to get the mini monograms in and out of car seats and in and out of a double stroller to run a gaggle of errands? Well it is no small feat, that’s for sure, and it certainly doesn’t make for very happy mini monograms either. Believe you me, it will make you one exhausted monogram momma who is then in desperate need of a cocktail and nap herself once 1:30 rolls around. So today is going to be much like any other Tuesday or Thursday and after I drop off the mini monograms, I am taking preppy puppy to get her nails trimmed, then pop into Mr. Monogram’s office to drop off my parent’s princess puppy so he can drive her ½ way to meet my mom today, and then I’m heading to the bookstore. And yes, preppy puppy will most likely accompany me there as well, since she likes to go just about everywhere with me and makes such a great accessory (and besides, do you really think they’re going to stop me when I walk into their bookstore with an 80 lb dog to buy a handful of books? I think not).

Which leads me to my topic of choice for today. It was suggested to me by a certain someone that I do a summer reading list. I know just those three words “SUMMER READING LIST” conjures up very bad memories for me as well, of being forced to read half a dozen painfully boring “classics” of American and European literature, only to be tested by written exam in essay form on the very first day of school. Oh yes, the VERY first day. Nothing says welcome back to school like an exam on the first day (throw in a scolding that your uniform skirt is too short and your loafers need to be shined and you’ve got yourself the start to a phenomenal year). But now that I’m an adult, I love to read. I think I love it because I have the choice to read whatever I want and nobody’s holding my GPA over my head. And I’ll admit, I’ve even revisited some of the classics like John Steinbeck’s grueling six hundred and eight pages of “East of Eden” and “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee which we dissected in my MOM’S Club book club a couple months ago. And even though my book club selection for this month is “Middlesex” by Jeffrey Eugenides, during the summer, I really prefer some lighter, funnier, peppier, and preppier reading while I’m sunning poolside with my Hawaiian Tropic #4. Don’t get me wrong, I really like books that challenge me and make me think about the foreshadowing and life lessons (btw, go pick up “The Glass Castle” by Jeanette Walls if you’re looking for one of those books), just not while I’m trying to relax during the summer. Come on people, even Martha needs to relax and clear her head sometimes, and I chose to believe that she does this as I do, with some fun summer reading. So in no particular order, here is my Summer Reading List for you, my fellow monogrammers.

The Nanny Diaries: A Novel by Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus. Yes ,yes, most of you have read this one and the movie will be coming out sometime in the near future, which is why it’s on my Summer Reading List. I really enjoyed it although I ended up crying in the end.

Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office (Paperback). by Jen Lancaster Many thanks to an old prep school pal, Laura, for insisting I pick this one up. I can’t wait to crack the binding on it!

I Love Everybody (and Other Atrocious Lies): True Tales of a Loudmouth Girl (Paperback) by Laurie Notaro. Do I really need to explain why I think this is going to make for some fantastic beach chair reading? The title just grabs you by the arm and screams for you to open it up!

The Day I Turned Uncool: Confessions of a Reluctant Grown-up (Paperback) by Dan Zevin. I believe this probably describes most of us and is supposed to be hysterical. Therefore, it’s made my cut.

SHOPAHOLIC 3C TR BOX SET (Paperback) by Sophie Kinsella. Seriously, laugh out loud hysterical. Do not walk, but RUN to your local bookstore if you haven’t picked up this set of three yet (Confessions of a Shopoholic, Shopoholic Takes Manhattan, and Shopoholic Ties the Knot). I am waiting with baited breath for the next in the series to come out next February!

Good in Bed (Paperback) by Jennifer Weiner. If she writes it, monogram momma will come.

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells. Another oldie but goodie. One of my all-time favorite books that makes me homesick for my own Ya-Ya’s.

Prep: A Novel (Paperback) by Curtis Sittenfeld. If you read my Summer Must Have list, which you certainly should have by now, then you will already know how I feel about this one. You’ll also know that I totally picked it up because of the pink and green ribbon belt on the cover, but really ended up liking this book a lot. Think “Catcher in the Rye” circa 1990 meets a female lead.

The Official Preppy Handbook (Hardcover). Seriously. Need I say more?

This is by no means a complete list and I’m quite certain I’ll have more to recommend after I return from the bookstore this morning so check back and see what other good reads I find. And I fully expect you to let us all know if you too have a book that you think should be added to this list. And without having to tote the mini monograms and that 500 pound double stroller into the bookstore and spend my time in the children’s section, with the mini’s at summer camp today, preppy puppy and I can have a nice cup of tea and enjoy our time perusing through the aisles! And not to worry, I will not require a written essay on any books on my Summer Reading List (do make sure your loafers are properly shined though and have a crisp new penny in them).

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I am LOVING the blog! And if I do say so myself... this was an excellent idea for a topic (patting myself on the back)

I have a few suggestions for the list- I passed all of these along to Ali for her Honeymoon and got some rave reviews :)

1- Everybody Worth Knowing- by the Devil Wears Prada Author Lauren Weisberger This one will quench your celeb gossip thirst while giving a great love story :)
2- Summer Sisters by Judy Blume - This one just screams Summer Reading!
3- Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen - This one is a great revenge book and lol funny
4- Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney - Such a great friendship book

Now I will be sure to shine up my loafers before the Dean gives me the pink slip!

Monogram Momma said...

I can't believe I left off "Summer Sisters" from my list! You are right, it is definitely a summer must!

Anonymous said...

I just finished Everyone Worth Knowing last night and it is totally summer must read! I also highly recommend "Something Borrowed" and then "Something Blue" by Emily Giffin. She has a new one out that I am dying to read. Thanks for all the other great suggestions!

Anonymous said...

i love emily giffin!! and her new one, Baby Proof, was just as good as the others!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»