18 June, 2009

Sit There Quietly Until You Can Be Nice

WARNING: Mommy post straight ahead.

This morning got off to a rough start. As you know, the mini monograms are roughly a year and a half apart. In simple English, this means they are the best of friends and the worst of friends. They are oil & water, salt and pepper, complete opposites in every. single. way. One is a neat freak, one is a slob. And so on and so forth, you get what I'm saying.

Perhaps you've also heard the old saying "opposites attract?"

Well, apparently they woke up on the wrong sides of their beds this morning because they were arguing about every little nit-picky thing this morning and it wasn't even 7:45a.m. GAHHH! Calgon, take me away, already!! Clearly they did not read mommy's memo that it is Summer and she is allowed to have some extra beauty sleep. *sigh* Therefore, me trying to get them out the door and to VBS sounded something along this line (Vacation Bible School: something holy & sacred to Southern Mothers where, whatever your religious beliefs are, your children are welcome with wide open Protestant arms for a week of free-yes, FREE- childcare for approximately 3 hours a day. And this Catholic mom would be a damn fool not to partake in such a gift from God, right?):

Me: GET IN YOUR SEATS, BUCKLE UP, & LOOK OUT UR OWN WINDOW. DON'T EVEN LOOK OR SPEAK 2 EACH OTHER.

Along the way, after I tweeted this for all the world to share in my irritation this morning (I'm a giver like that, what can I say?), I received a few tweets back from other mom's who were in the same boat as I was this morning. Well, it is summertime, so let's face it, it's more like we're all on the same overcrowded, sinking ship. But regardless, one of my friends asked for pointers with her arguing boys and while I'm happy to share one of my favorite STOP ARGUING NOW OR I WILL START DRINKING AND IT'S TOO EARLY IN THE MORNING tips with you that I use on the mini's, keep in mind I am only speaking from my own experience here. Oh and also? Additional tips welcome.

Monogram Momma's Quick Trick to Stopping the [arguing] Insanity

1) When the mini's are consistently arguing and I've already separated them and sent them to their rooms and that still hasn't done the trick, I have them come stand face to face in front of me.

2) They have to wrap their arms around each other, then put their noses together, literally touching.

3) For 3 solid minutes, they BOTH have to repeat while noses are touching and arms are around each other, " I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU..."

4) They are usually giggling before the 3 minutes are up, and believe it or not, for some reason I honestly can't explain, they are happy to run off and play nicely after that 3 minutes in each others face.

Try it, I promise it will work.

11 Comments:

Preppy Pettit said...

What a great idea!! I make mine sit on the front steps and hold hands!

Unknown said...

That is absolutely so adorable! Love it and thanks for the advice, I will try it in a couple hours:) Since the littlest mini can't really talk yet, it might be interesting! If you came up with that you are brilliant. Oh and, have you every considered writing copy for some humor products? I think you would be GREAT at it!
Trisha from Inviting Company

Monogram Momma said...

Love the hold hands idea. That's a good one also. I'll have to remember that.

Thanks, Trisha! You are too sweet. No, haven't considered writing copy but I'm game for anything!

Bridget said...

That is positively brilliant! I have 2 boys 17 mos apart - I'm definitely trying that next time they fight. Will probably be in 3 or 4 minutes :)

Leap Frog Paper said...

I noticed the behavior improve with my 3 kids instantly, after I informed them that they would no longer be sent to their rooms when they fought...instead, they are handed a broom, vacuum cleaner, rag, etc (depending on their age) and they CLEAN! Now in my house there is less fighting AND my house looks better!

Anonymous said...

We were pretty rough and tumble, so if you put us that close, chances are we would have just started punching each other. My sisters are 11 months apart, so I know what you're talking about.

As for VBS, nothing like it! I can still say the little assembly pledges to the Christian Flag and Bible! Though, the church I attend now decided that it doesn't like being part of the VBS circuit, and wants to make it more intergral to the church. So instead of a week of VBS, the summer sunday school format changes to be VBS like (storytelling, extra crafts, extra sugar...) We don't have the one special week.

InsLady said...

Being a southern girl myself, we LOVE VBS. My son has the two VBSs planned each and every year. He has figured out that the Baptists all have the same VBS, the Methodists all have the same, so he picks the Church of God and Baptist so he doesn't get this same lesson two weeks in a row... Go figure. Happy Weekend.

Twins plus one... said...

Ah, yes. VBS. We're there this week, except I am not kid free...I'm volunteering to work at VBS while my kids are reaping the benefits. I must have signed up for that on one those "Stop fighting now or I will start drinking and it's too early in the morning" days and it was the beer talking. All joking aside, I love the idea of that and I am going to try that in the a.m.--the first fight usually begins approximately 2.3 minutes after they wake up. Lovely. Glad to have a new trick in my momma bag...
(I have three year old twin boys and a 22 month old daughter, FYI. We're full of fussing around these parts.)

TCP said...

See, my problem is that the 2 yr old WANTS to be nose to nose with the baby, hugging and saying love you ALL DAY LONG. And the baby? He is not so interested in this.

Someday, I will be abe to use this. right?

Anonymous said...

I don't have kids but this post is hilarious! :) I babysit and they are like my kids and I have seen some lovely behavior from them :)

HMP said...

LOL! I cannot tell you how many times I've said the same!!!: Buckle up, look out your window, do not speak or look at each other!! Just knowing other moms live the same way, makes me feel better about my mayhem ;)