22 December, 2008

Festive Ribbon Brie

I'm still deaf out of my left ear and I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't incredibly concerned at this stage of the game. It's making for some miserable times for jolly 'ol Monogram Momma.

At any rate, my dear blogging buddy emailed me for a great holiday appetizer recipe so I had to share with her my all-time favorite. I do this every Christmas, and it's always a huge hit. Therfore, I'm passing it along to you, as you all scurry frantically through Epicurious and All Foods online, looking for a fresh appetizer recipe as well. Enjoy!

Festive Ribbon Brie
-1 ripe, round Brie cheese (8 ounces)
-1/4 cup butter, softened
-1/3 cup Sonoma Dried Tomato Halves, reconstitutedas package directs, drained and chopped
-1 small clove garlic, pressed
-1/4 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
-2 teaspoons chopped parsley
-Box of Puff Pastry (comes w/ 2 sheets)

Place wrapped cheese in freezer. Chill until firm but not frozen, about 1 hour. With sharp knife, halve cheese horizontally; set aside. Beat butter, then beat in tomatoes and garlic. Mix in walnuts. Spread tomato mixture evenly on cut side of one cheese half. Cover with remaining cheese, cut side down; press gently. Roll cheese on its side in parsley to coat tomato layer.

Next, roll out your puff pastry sheet really well so it will cover your entire brie. Place the brie in the center and cover it, making sure there are no uncovered parts of the brie. Seal those edges well w/ the tines of a fork so it won't come lose when cooking. Cover in an egg wash, then flip the brie over so the seams are on the bottom. Cover the top in the egg wash also, before placing in oven. Depending on your oven, put it in for 365-400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes (until it's nice and cooked but not oozing).

I also use some extra dough from the puff pastry and make a little holiday cut-out for the top of the brie so it's more festive and decorated.

4 Comments:

TCP said...

Yum! I heart anything with brie.

And am also very worried about your ear!! I hope it's just a weird fluke and will be better by Christmas.

Monogram Momma said...

Thanks, TCP. I'll keep you updated on the hearing situation. Just know you guys might have to start twittering IN ALL CAPS SO I CAN HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING.

Also, about the brie? You could sandwhich me in between 2 wheels of brie and it would be a dream come true. Can you ever have enough? No. I simply do not think so.

a. said...

Thank you thank you thank you...I love anything cheesy :-)

Will let you know how it turns out!

Hugs!

Jo said...

I just found your blog ~ very lovely.

The brie recipe is a must do! I think brie should be its very own food group!

I can relate on the hearing loss. I am basically deaf in my right ear. I have seen an allergist and will be seeing an EN&T after the results are in. I'm very concerned as nothing seems to work that comes from a perscription pad.

How long have you been dealing with this issue?

Jo