03 July, 2008

What I'm Doing

Want to know what I've been doing all dog-gone day instead of putting out an interesting or crafty post for you guys? Well let me just tell you, I've been on stupid Facebook ALL FREAKING DAY. Can somebody please tell me why this is so addictive?

So my friend Susan (who is currrently an ex-pat in London w/ her family), invited me to join Facebook a couple weeks ago. She said it's all the rage in London and will I please join to make it easier to keep in touch. Ok, I don't know what could possibly be simpler than e-mail, but whatever. I join. And I don't set up my profile until recently. And now? Well now there is just no going back.

Now, here's the real problem with Facebook. All of the sudden I get a gazillion emails from people who went to prep school with me who want me to add them as a "friend." I use this term loosely because I wasn't actually ever "friends" with most of these people in real life anyway. I had a very tight-knit group of real friends who I am still friends with in real life. So wouldn't being facebook "friends" just be a tad, oh I don't know, artificial and ridiculous? So there they sit, on my request list without me answering them because I don't want to seem rude but yet I don't want to have to keep up with these people I can hardly remember uttering 2 words to. I mean, what is a girl to do to stay true to herself?

And what's really making me mad is that Ashley and I usually have quite a lot of laughs making fun of the people on MySpace (totally for teenagers, btw) and the like. And yet, here I sit, throwing pink and green gummy bears at Susan in London, Split Pea Soup at Ali in New York, and "poking" Ashley with a hug. Please send help.

P.S. To be fair, I should also tell you that on the plus side for Facebook my college roomate and sorority sister found me on Facebook and called me today and we caught up for about an hour!!

P.S.S. Dear Lord, did ya'll know you can add a "Dog Book" to your Facebook profile for your dog??????

13 Comments:

a. said...

I am very insulted that you have not accepted my invitation on Facebook!

Monogram Momma said...

I haven't gotten an invitation from you for Facebook!! I have been waiting for you to get on! Send it again and I'll check it again. So far no invitation from you though!

Shell said...

Oooh dear - you've got the same "facebook" disease that I have! LOL!
I joined up and now not only do I have a "dogbook" for my puppy, but i have a pile of "friends" that I haven't seen or spoken to in at least a decade, and I'm positively obssessed with the "My Fairy" application and growing a lovely garden and sprinkling my friends with sunshine dust.

If you decide that you would like a facebook friend from Australia whom you've only ever had contact with via your blog... just let me know - I'd be happy to send you a friend request!LOL!

Monogramchick said...

what a delightful waste of time huh? it really is an addiction and I find that it becomes a prize to "collect" friends despite the fact that I never actually really talk to anyone except those that I talk to on a daily basis already!

Monogram Momma said...

WHAT?! Are you kidding me? MY FAIRY??? Ughh. I am just now getting the hang of the food fight thing and someone sent me "flair" that I could NOT figure out for the life of me meant. NOw I have to sprinkle fairy dust????

BroncoMom said...

Dear Nonogram Momma -

I joined facebook to "cacth up" with high school friends. Our 30th reunion is next month. It really is a wonderful way to spend time and enjoy the old days.
Have fun.
Love you blog and ideas -

Lily Goodwin said...

I know about the dog book, a lot of my real friends have for their dogs but I'm too lazy to make one for mine.
I'm obsessed with the fluff friends now... sigh...

Monogram Momma said...

umm, Fluff Friends??? WTH is that?! Great, now I'm going back to Facebook to check into this one too.

Curly said...

As if I didn't spend enough time reading and writing on blogs--Facebook is almost more addicting than blogs are. Scary!

TCP said...

My friends and I call it "crackbook" ...so addictive! I joined just to see what a few old friends were up to, and now I'm creating pieces of freaking flair. Let me know if you want some Official TCP Flair. Because, god help me, I have created some.

Monogram Momma said...

TCP, this brings up an excellent point.. Why the hell does everyone love this flair crap?? I mean, they're just buttons/pins for crying out loud. I fell like i't s 1987 and I'm a TGI Friday's waitress or something trying to show off all my flair. It's ridiculous. Yesterday I was actually proud of myself that I sent my girlfriend Alyson a really tacky Happy Anniversary piece flair.

Anonymous said...

Dear Monogram Momma,
Like most others I am often on Facebook as well, I seem to have the same problem as you, I plan on only going on Facebook for maybe 5 minutes and end up spending more than an hour. !!!!! grrr
I happen to also be friends with some people that I am not to close to but I do not visit there profiles as frequently as I do for other close friends.
Above you mentioned PEICES OF FLAIR. This is an application I enjoy allot, I also like Graffiti. In Graffiti you can draw for other friends, it is fun and sort of artistic..
Have fun spending time on facebook, love your blog.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Dear Monogram Momma,
Like most others I am often on Facebook as well, I seem to have the same problem as you, I plan on only going on Facebook for maybe 5 minutes and end up spending more than an hour. !!!!! grrr
I happen to also be friends with some people that I am not to close to but I do not visit there profiles as frequently as I do for other close friends.
Above you mentioned PEICES OF FLAIR. This is an application I enjoy allot, I also like Graffiti. In Graffiti you can draw for other friends, it is fun and sort of artistic..
Have fun spending time on facebook, love your blog.
xoxo