01 May, 2008

Fins to the Left! Fins to the Right!

Tuesday night was book club, and while I won't do a full Book Club review on this book because I didn't really care for it, I just have to share what I brought for book club as my treat (everyone brings an appetizer or desert to share to the hosts home). The book we read was called Grayson by Lynne Cox. Long story short, it's a a true, coming of age short story (about 170 pages or so) of a woman who is a competitive swimmer and found a lost 18-foot baby whale off the coast of California when she was seventeen years old, training in the dark early morning waters off Seal Beach. The whole story takes place in the water with grouper, sting ray, plankton, sharks, and all sorts of other disgusting stuff in the ocean swimming into her for I don't know how many hours while she tries to help this baby whale find it's mother. I know it's gotten rave reviews and truly, I think would be better suited for a young adult reader, but personally I was just ready for this woman to get the heck out of the water already (I mean really, this book could have been a short story and published in a magazine. It really did not need an entire book).

Anyway, while I don't recommend the book, I DO recommend my treat I took. Y'all know me, when I see the opportunity for a theme I take it and run with it (or rather, swim with it in this case!)!

Beach Themed Cupcakes

You Will Need
-cake batter recipe (or box) of your choosing
-frosting recipe (or container) of your choosing
-blue food coloring
-either blue fruit roll-ups OR grayish-blue card stock

Mmmmmmmmmmm...
Here are my cupcakes fresh out of the oven


I colored my frosting blue, then slathered it on creating peaks with a butter knife to resemble waves. While I had originally cut my shark fins out of blue fruit roll-ups, they started *mysteriously* disappearing so I was forced to use a gray folder as my shark fins.


Pretty cute and tasty treat to discuss a book about the creatures of the ocean, no?

But wait! That's not all !!*in my best infomercial voice*

Now, one step further... I had some leftover cake batter and poured it into a small corning ware dish. I baked it to golden perfection and leveled the top of the cake with a knife. Once I'd emptied the cake out and let it cool, I decorated it to resemble....



THE BEACH!!
The base is covered in the same blue buttercream frosting I used for my cupcakes. The top is covered is plain white buttercream frosting and covered in graham cracker crumbs (from the box that you'd buy to make a crust with). Insert a fun drink umbrella and a broken seashell the mini's brought home from the beach and VOILA!


And I left it behind as a surprise with this little note for all my guys....


Another great idea from Martha.

11 Comments:

TCP said...

Those are too cute. What a nice mama you are to make those for your boys!!

TCP said...

Those are too cute. What a nice mama you are to make those for your boys!!

Tippy said...

Those cupcakes and the beach cake are about the cutest darn things I've ever seen. I'm having my little guy's bday party in early June and it's a "whale" party because I found really cute Whitney English whale invites. I wonder if I could cut the fin into the shape of a whale tail? SO Cute.

Monogram Momma said...

Momx2: yes, it would be so easy to do these as a whale! Just make sure you use a thick cardstock. I would actually trace the whale from the invitation so it's the same whale! OH! You could use the Whitney English whale and copy it onto card stock paper and then it will be the exact same consistent whale. :-)

Katie Ryan said...

very cute idea.

Melly said...

Cute, cute, cute!! So glad you're back with your adorable ideas. Can't wait to read more.

Suburban prep said...

Martha had been be ready to leave the lights because you are so creative.

CG said...

How creative! And so easy! Thanks for sharing that idea with us.

Kate said...

YUM! I can't wait to have an oven again ;)

Shelly Connors said...

Hi there!

Would love to know where you got the striped grosgran ribbon under the note! Any chance on getting the source?

Thanks!

shellconnors@hotmail.com

Monogram Momma said...

Shelly: That is actually a notepad of mine from Whitney English Stationery. There is a link on my side bar. I love her!