06 July, 2007

A Plan with a Plate

If you're anything like me, you are completely ga-ga over eyelet this summer. Well, I don't know that I really ever stopped wearing it, but at least now I'm not the only one. So while you are sprucing up for your post-Fourth, weekend get-together, take a tip from Martha and spruce up those solid color paper plates just wasting away in your pantry with a pretty eyelet look (and no, you should not be entertaining this weekend with the American Flag plates you bought on sale at Target for 50% off yesterday).

Now, Martha has her method and I have mine. So to be fair, I'll lay out both for you here. Don't think I'm trying to "throw down" with Martha or anything (not that I wouldn't totally be up for the challenge, Martha, in case you're reading *cough*), but sometimes if you don't like how something turns out, it's nice to have an alternate plan. You know, like an evacuation plan, a birth plan, the 5-year plan. You get my drift; plans are good.

Martha's Plan

Martha's plan is pretty simple, but a tad bulky in my opinion. She suggests cutting around the circumference of a plain white plate with scallop scissors. You then want to use various sizes and shapes of hole punches (which, most likely you probably don't have just laying around your house at hand) to make your pattern. Once you've got the desired look you are going for, slip a colored plate behind the white, newly scalloped one and you're ready to serve.

Monogram Momma's Plan
As I alluded to above, I don't have a bunch of decorative hold punches just lying around my house (to be fair, it's probably b/c I hate scrapbooking). If you do, then that great for you. But if not, then my plan is simple. Head out to your local party supply store and pick up some white paper doilies that are slightly smaller than your solid colored plates. Holding one doily in the air, spray the back of it with spray adhesive, and attach it to the front of your colored plate. Period. The end. It's really that easy.

So today is Friday and I’m so glad it’s finally here. What with the travel this past week and a busy Fourth of July, I’m pretty behind on keeping up with the house (you know, this is when it would be nice to win the lottery so I could at least have a trained monkey to do the dishes for me) . That is nothing to say of the huge pile of laundry I keep avoiding eye contact with, calling me from the guest bedroom either. So as much as it pains me, I think we will abstain from the pool today and get a few things done around the house. Later today my wonderful neighbor across the street is coming over to sit here while Mini #2 naps so I can take mini #1 to buy his school uniforms. Yippee! I’m so excited and of course, I will be taking loads of pictures. Yeah, I'm that mom.

I can remember my dad taking me to the campus store to buy all my books and uniforms when I was a little girl and how he was just so overwhelmed he bought enough uniforms for three kids. Not to worry, I have promised Mr. Monogram that will not happen today, but really, to be honest, I just can not be held responsible for anything that is cute that I get talked into. I fully plan on blaming the uniform store staff. Again, you see how having a plan is a good thing?
Wish me luck.


12 Comments:

Bossy Bar-Wife said...

God bless the campus store. Remember how you could buy anything with just your student ID? Love it. Can't wait to hear about your purchases!

Monogram Momma said...

Umm, yeah it was only the greatest thing EVER. I mean, where else could you go hand over your student ID, buy whatever you wanted, then they just sent a bill to your parents. GENIUS!

This addiction started at you-know-where then continued onto College for me when the bookstore got larger with even more cool things. Oh if only we could get those days back!!

Mel said...

I guess I am glad that I am not the only "THAT MOM" out there. I once had a man make a snippy comment to me at my stepson's first t-ball game. "So, are you making a documentary..." It wasn't even a question, and he said it in such a mean tone of voice! Back then, I was all new to the whole parenting thing, and how catty other parents at children's sporting events could be, so I didn't say anything. I still can't think of anything witty to come back with to that one! It was just so random! I love your idea for the plates, I might snag it for a tea party themed birthday party for my daughter sometime. Wouldn't that be cute?

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

ahhh, I wish i was still on this plan with my parents. Alas, a husband and 2 kids later and I am off the payroll...but, a girl can dream, right?!

Unknown said...

But doilies are not made to eat food off of. SO anything moist will just make a mess and you end with a plate with a wet pulpy piece of paper with glue on it. So the plate may look cute but you could only put like dry food on them not potato salad or whatever.
You must be excited about Melissa Morris's Boston Get Together since Mr. M is a native. Can we all stay at your in-laws!! :)

Monogram Momma said...

Yep, good point Gabe. This is why it's great as a cake plate, for that reason alone. Don't you think?

Unfortunately I won't be making the trip to Boston since August-October is the busiest time of year for Mr. M (and why we always vacation at the end of Oct since we haven't seen him) so I can't get away. With mini #1 starting Kindergarten also, it's not a good time for me to be taking off.

Mr. M's parents now live in FL but all his other family still resides (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc) still reside in Boston aside from his parents. Mr. M's dad still has a house there though, on Adams street (a few blocks from Tufts). So, we do make the trip up for weddings, family events, visiting and so forth. It sounds like Mel's weekend will be a great time and I'm looking forward to seeing all the picts!

Anonymous said...

Ahh..the uniforms kill me. Does your get to wear a tie. Mine wears a tie on Fridays-it is ADORABLE! I will be posting pictures as well that first day. I can't wait!

Unknown said...

When you started with the whole paper plate thing, I was scared that I was about to realize that you are totally insane (as is Martha, clearly. Cutting up paper plates to make fancier paper plates?? OMG, just buy some cute ones already.) However, the doily idea is wonderful and adorable and perfect for a girly party.

I am also "one of those moms" and if anyone so much as even raises an eyebrow, I yell, "I'm the mamarazzi, get out of my way". We will never be lacking in photos. Damn right I'm making a documentary.

Monogram Momma said...

No, I'm not "totally" insane yet, Ashley. But I could be pretty close. The Mini's are doing a good job of driving me to that point.

As for pictures, I'm planning ahead to 16th b'day parties and rehearsal dinners. One of the most important aspects of this parenting job is to make sure I've got plenty of embarrasing footage of them. I'm just trying to do my part.

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

Cute plates! Thanks, I like Momma's plan much better! ;)

Cranny said...

Monogram Momma, 1. Martha Stewart, 0.

So clever...

Cranny said...

Monogram Momma, 1. Martha Stewart, 0.

So clever...