13 June, 2007

Completely Immobilized

You know how when you watch ER or Grey’s and someone always comes hobbling into the ER all bloody and cut up, looking like they’re about to lose a limb or something? Yeah, well, Saturday night, that was none other than yours truly. And no, this isn’t the hydrocodone talking (well okay, so maybe it is the hydrocodone, but this really is a true story).

So we got a babysitter Saturday night so we could go out with friends to one of our favorite restaurants to enjoy a delicious meal on the lake, watching the boats go by at the marina and the sunset. Fabulous meal, fabulous company, and to top it off, I’d bought a super cute new dress that I wore that night too. We really took our time eating and chatting and after over 2 hours sitting at our table, paid our bill and decided we would dash into the bar for a drink and sit outside on the Adirondack chairs and continue chatting and enjoying our evening on the lake. So as the husbands were in the bar grabbing drinks, Cresta and I walked around to the back to reach the Adirondack chairs. Now, to get there, you have to walk along a stone path, and unbeknownst to me, there was apparently a hole of some kind and since I was chatting and not paying attention, totally busted my rear end on the pathway. Let me interject here and tell you that this is very uncharacteristic of me. I am generally not a clumsy person, nor do these things happen to me often so I was a bit shocked. So I got up, dusted myself up, and went to sit down. Pretty much immediately, I said “I feel like I need to throw up and pass out.” And Cresta said “OMG are you okay? You are completely white” Looking around for an inconspicuous place to be sick, I sort of found one and quietly threw up 3 times behind some bushes, and sat on the curb trying not to pass out. Meanwhile, Cresta is calling her husband on his cell in the bar, telling he and Mr. Monogram to hurry and also bring some ice water and lots of napkins. When I return to the chairs where Cresta was sitting, it is then that we notice my entire knee and leg is covered in blood, and blood is just pulsating out of my knee. We can’t even see how bad the cut or scrape is b/c there’s so much blood. So after some back and forth debate, we all decided I needed to go to the ER.

So 5 hours, 3 x-rays, and 5 stitches later, we finally return home from the ER at 2:30 a.m. The really humorous part about all this is that when they registered me at the hospital, they said they were putting me on the “fast track.” So the fast track? NOT. SO. MUCH. All in all, I have to say, this was the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen. We literally saw my entire knee bones and joints inside my leg. It was as if someone had ripped at a piece of steak with a blunt butter knife and it also hit my knee bones. So I’m in some pain and while I’m supposed to be in a knee immobilizer (b/c my injury is conveniently in the worst spot possible…top of the knee right where it bends), that just wasn’t going to work out what with me having two mini monograms that can already outrun me, so I’m opting for wrapping it instead of completely immobilizing it. But now you know where I’ve been. Laid up at home, not supposed to be moving my leg, especially bending it. By the way, do you know how difficult it is to go to the little girls room without bending your knee? Well it’s virtually impossible. I’ll be back soon though, I promise.

51 Comments:

Head Hen said...

My GOODNESS! I'm so sorry that you are injured, that must have been terrible! Are you thinking of taking any action against the place for that dang hole you fell in?! Maybe you'd get complimentary meals for ever and ever!

Thank you for not posting pictures in this case :) We will all be thinking about you and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Suz said...

You poor thing, hope you're feeling better soon. Sending good thoughts your way.

a. said...

I am a total klutz so something like this would definitely happen to me!

Hope the knee mends quickly!

Sew Gracious said...

OUCH!!! Hope you're better soon! :-)

Unknown said...

My mother volunteers in an ER and has always warned me about the teasing lie which is "Fast Track". Enjoy your drugs and your freedom from blogging, and heal uneventfully.

Suburban prep said...

Oh my. Please rest and feel better soon.
I wrote on another blog about the fact that I feel off a Jeep when I was 10. I cracked open my knee and my kneep cap. (not near any medical facility) my mother-a nurse - flushed out all the garbage and cleaned the large and bloody wound. Have a battle scar to remind me but it has faded with time.
trust me because of that experience I do understand the washroom adventure.

marie said...

Oh no! Hope you feel better soon. I also hope you have some help with the boys.

Marsha said...

Holy moly!

I've had knee injuries (unlike you, am completely clumsy - Tuesday's Child, my butt) and is sounds like a whopper.

Take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

OMG. Hope everything gets better.

Unknown said...

God love ya! Hope you heal up quick!!! Try and take it easy.

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

So sorry. I would have passed out if I saw what you did. Hope you feel better soon!

Unknown said...

Oooohh! I'm with a. I fell and strained ligaments (no blood, thank goodness!) in my knee the week we were moving. I was in a full-knee immobilizer for 3 wks. This meant I couldn't chase the 4 y/o or move boxes in or out of either house (stairs and all that). Fun. Get well soon!

SLC said...

OMG! Sorry to hear about the tragic events of Saturday night. Glad you are "more or less" okay. Take it easy.

J said...

Oh my gosh, that is awful! I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Sarah M said...

I hope you feel better soon. That sounds horrible and definitely no fun for the summer.

Kimba said...

Big hugs to you Mrs. M! Take care of your self!!!!

Melissa C Morris said...

best wishes for a speedy recovery MM!

Kristy said...

I had several injuries myself that required using a knee immobilizer, so I feel your pain! The little girls room is tough, definitely, but what I hated the most was going up or down stairs, since you have to put both feet on each step - it was such a slow process! Hope you feel better soon!

CBM said...

Oh, my, you poor thing, MM! I hope that you're feeling better and wish you a very speedy recovery!

Melissa said...

Oh how awful. I hope you are up and moving around again in no time!

Meg said...

That sounds like something I'd do. Feel better soon!

Gina said...

Good grief! Hope you're on the mend soon!

Elizabeth H. said...

Yikes! Hope that you heal quickly.

Libby said...

Oh, MM, you poor little lamb! Knee injuries are the absolute pits! Wishing you a very speedy recovery!

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Oh my goodness girl.
First I hope that you are doing okay, and feeling like you are on the mend.
Next I hope that you didn't get any blood on your cute new dress.

So glad they put you on the fast track, can you imagine how long you would have been had you been on the slow track??

Sending good wishes for you to feel better soon!

TCP said...

Oh, MM!! You poor thing!! I hope you feel better soon (and that you have someone to help you with the minis!)

Curly said...

I was wondering where you've been--but I'm glad to hear you're okay. Get better!!!!!!

Pigtown*Design said...

MM - Get well soon!!!

Corrie said...

Oh no! I hope you are on the mend soon. Do you have help with the minis?

This is embarrassing to admit but a night out for me is never complete with out me taking a fall. It is always because of the shoes, well and the vodka, and not paying attention to what I'm doing. Mostly it's the shoes though. My girlfriends have even taken to calling taking a fall when out for an evening-pulling a Corrie. I am not the only one that this happens too usually.

Get better soon! :)

Allie_in_Ga said...

I hope you feel better soon! The ER is no fun, I was there last night! I was in no way as bad as shape as you are, that is really scary. At least we got some good drugs to keep us feeling better.

Julia said...

I'm so sorry, please have a speedy recovery.

tommie said...

Oh my goodness! I hope you feel better soon.

tommie said...

Oh my goodness! I hope you feel better soon.

KKB said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Take good care!

Wicked Good Dinner said...

I felt like I was reading a script from a TV show - Oh my gosh! So sorry to hear about your fall - I hope you get back on your feet soon :-)

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

OMG! That is a crazy story! I hope you start feeling better soon.

Monogram Momma said...

Thanks so much for all the love, you guys! I'm really doing fine, just trying to keep my leg up and stay off of it. ON the plus side, I've gotten back into my needlepoint and am halfway through this months book club selection though!

You know, I wish I could blame it on my shoes, but I was wearing leather flip flops!

Sisters with Style said...

That sounds awful! So sorry this happened to you! Please get better soon and take care of yourself!

Britt said...

Thats an awful accident but get well soon!! get back to those beach reads and let everyone wait on you hand and foot :)

Marissa said...

How tragic! We all hope you are feeling better soon, in the meantime rest and let us all entertain you for a few days ;)

Beth said...

Oh wow-i just stopped by to read your blog and i saw this post-hope you feel better REALLY soon:) Take care of yourself!

Rachel said...

Hope you feel better soon~I was surfing around and came across www.monograminc.com and thought of you~thought you might enjoy~Rachel

Anonymous said...

Feel better! I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope you get the rest you need. Do you have a sitter for the boys during the day? Maybe someone can come over & help with the boys?

jennifer m. said...

you poor thing. here's to feeling better soon !!!

Susan D. said...

Oh, I am so sorry - that sounds awful. I hope you are feeling better & getting some much needed R&R. Take care & wishes for a speedy recovery!

lauren said...

I just saw this! I am so sorry!!!! You poor thing! I hope Mr. M is waiting on you hand and foot and pampering you to the max! ;)

MMM said...

Horrible story! I hope you are feeling better. Get lots of rest!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, MM - poor you - here's hoping you are feeling better ... sooner than later :)

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry to hear about your injury. Rest and take care. Lisa

Lady Tramaine said...

Poor thing! That is so frustration. If you find time to read while you are down, try, S.W.A.G. by Melinda Rainey Thompson. Very funny!
I hope you are well soon.

Bossy Bar-Wife said...

OMG Momma! I am so sorry and I hope you're up and about soon. I do NOT like to hear of MM being in distress.