28 February, 2007

Wine Cork Cork Boards

In light of the fact that I was sitting outside in the freezing winter cold at 4:50 a.m. yesterday morning, I was unable to post yesterday as I spent the better part of the day catching up on my sleep. Let me tell you that monogram momma is not someone who functions well when she has missed sleep. All this, I tell you, to ensure Mini Monogram #2 is registered for the day’s I want at their pre-school for next year. But the good news is that I was second in line and therefore secured the days I wanted for next year. Whew!

But on to other things today. Now, if I remember correctly, there were quite a few of you who were interested in a wine cork board. I myself am not a huge wine drinker. I know, perish the thought, right? But as I’ve mentioned before, I am horribly allergic to red wine so that pretty much leaves me to white which is okay or Riesling. I will say, however, that I adore a good Riesling. But I realize lots of you are big wine enthusiasts and are looking for something creative to do with your wine corks. And while there are plenty of kits you can go ahead and purchase, I found some super simple instructions for creating your own wine cork board.

You Will Need
-wine bottle corks
-wine bottle labels (a few dozen)
-wooden picture frame
-white glue
-sheet of foam core cut to fit frame
-craft glue
-picture hanging wire and attachments

Directions
1) Place a sheet of pre-cut foam core into back of frame (replacing the glass). Turn the frame right side up and trace the inside edge with a pencil. This will ensure that the finished project will fit into the frame.
2) Soak bottles with labels in water for a half-hour. Peel off gently (soak longer if label is difficult to remove).
3) Place wet labels on flat surface to dry.
4) Apply to wooden picture frame with white craft glue. Smooth in place and cover entire frame. Let dry.
5) Cut collection of wine corks in half lengthwise using a large knife. Cut each one so the most interesting sides will face out when glued down.
6) Glue cork halves to piece of foam core inside pencil line using craft glue. Stagger rows to make a brickwork pattern.
7) Fill in any gaps around edges with smaller pieces of cork.
8) Place board with glued corks into back of frame, cork side facing front. Attach hangers and wire then put it in the kitchen. Great for a travel postcard collection.

Note: Trivets for hot pots and pans can be made in this same manner, as can serving trays. Just glue cork halves onto a piece of thin plywood cut into 6" or 8" squares. These are great for future dinner parties.

Simple, right? What is great about this is that you can dress this up or down by the type of frame you chose. Pick a carved wooden frame with a rustic gold patina or a more contemporary thick black frame. Also, by doing this project yourself you can create the exact size and shape you want also. So definitely keep that in mind. The choice is yours to create the look you want. But keeping those of you in mind who prefer not to make this yourself, you have plenty of options to purchase a kit which contains everything you need.
The best selection of kits you’re going to find is over at Wine Enthusiast. They’ve got some great options for making trivets, trays, bulletin boards (with different frame options and sizes), and the like. However, you can also pick up finished wine cork bulletin boards from Just Corks so be sure to check them out if you like the look but don’t want to assemble anything yourself. For me, I don’t think I’ll be assembling much of anything today since it’s so gorgeous outside. Instead, I’m loading up mini #2’s tricycle, mini #1’s bike, and we’re heading to the park. Let’s just hope I can do a better job of keeping those lunch-stealing ducks away from us today!

17 Comments:

Bossy Bar-Wife said...

OK. I am going to try that this weekend. Pray for me. This doesn't sound like something I will be good at it. I may have to call the MM hotline for some help. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the instructions!

TCP said...

We're working on one of these right now--I always have the worst time trying to get the label off in one piece, though, so we just keep opening more and more bottles! ;)

And might I add that you are one dedicated mama! 4:50 am!!

Melissa said...

I've actually been thinking about making one of those - now I don't have to figure it out for myself - thanks!

CFB said...

Great Idea! In less than 6 months I will actually be old enough to buy bottles of wine. My friends and I have already planned to sign up for a wine tasting class at my school.

Ali Masterson said...

I am so excited for your wine cork cork board instructions. I've been collecting for months and can't wait to make one! :) Keep up the good work, Monogram Mama. x/o, Ali, aka Celeb Scoop Master

Anonymous said...

Yeah for this post!!! I have a big jar of corks & I have been meaning to buy the kit, however, this actually looks like a craft that even I may be able to master - I may have to sit down & tackle it - I will let you know how I do :)

Anonymous said...

I have been hearing about the Celebrity Fantasy League and am wondering if it is too late to get involved...fill me in!!!

Monogram Momma said...

Make sure you guys send me pictures if you do it!

And jenMarie: email me directly at monogrammomma@charter.net and I'll send you all the info you need to join the tabloid fantasy league!

sle said...

Oh boy, I remember the days of sitting in the freezing cold at 4:30 in the morning to get into preschool. Don't worry MM, it all balances out because in a few short years you will be sweating it out with them to see which college they get in!! Something to look forward to!

lisagh said...

What a great idea! And a practical reason to drink more wine... what could be better?

Anonymous said...

*mouth open in shock*
It was 4:50am, and someone was already there???

Snaaaaaaaaaap.

This is why I am excited about working in New Zealand education. All the things you love about private education
segregated sexes, uniforms, boarding school.
But it's all public education!

So no having to worry, cause everyone gets it equally!

Sisters with Style said...

Awesome idea!!!

RED said...

MM! What a great idea - my dad made a few of these years ago, they hold up well, we use them to protect the table when using a hot dish. They look awesome. Great post!!

dmmlandcruiser said...

I am not surprised you were there so early, but who beat you?

teaorwine said...

Sooo very cute idea!

Monogram Momma said...

dmm... actually someome I know beat me at the school by 20 minutes! I'm happy to report I got the days I wanted though so Yippie!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

A while back i managed to find a website which had some instructions for removing sticky labels, it may be worth checking it out.