30 January, 2007

Versatile Valentines

It's not quite February, but I know if you're anything at all like me (and really, you must be somewhat if you keep coming back to monogram momma's), then you too are thinking about Valentines Day Cards. And I'm not just talking about cards for the mini monograms to tote to pre-school which profess their undying love and admiration for their little pre-school friends. But also cards for grown ups too.

So in starting this post, I actually realized this is going to require more than one post because there was so much great looking, non-tacky stuff for DIY Valentine's cards this year (yes I actually said non-tacky and Valentines Day in the same sentence). And Monogram momma just does NOT do character valentines cards. I think we can both agree that there is no shortage of tasteless valentine gifts and cards to be made, especially when it comes to kids cards and crafts, but I was lucky to stumble upon some really great ones that are very easy and require little skill, time, and cost. Perfect for young and old(er) alike. In a word, let's just say they are versatile valentines.

But I can't take credit for today's ideas. They come to me directly from one of my favorite places, Paper Source , and with several items already sold out, I suggest you hop over there pronto. Unfortunately, my favorite idea for this valentine's cards this year for the mini's, the Fortune Cookie Valentine, is already sold out. Booooo. But in digging I found instructions on how you can do it sans the nifty instructions from Paper Source. Now that doesn't mean I don't reccomend picking up any one of their fabulously colorful and fun valentines themed papers or solid colored papers for that matter for this project. Go ahead! I sure plan to, but it just means that we aren't SOL just becuase we didn't order in time. Nope! We are too crafty and resourceful for that at monogram momma's!

So as I was saying, if you like this different little Valentines Card idea for yourself or your kids as well, then you can print up the template here. You'll also need a pen, scissors, crayons, markers, and strips of paper to write the valentine message on. After printing up the template, cut out the circle following the dotted line. Then trace the circle onto your decorative paper you want to use for the fortune cookies (as an aside, you can also just get a round shape in the size you want and trace that directly onto your colored paper as well and just skip the template). So once your circle is cut out of your paper, you want to lightly fold it in half, and then in half again. Then just pinch it at the center and either glue the pinched seam to retain it's fortune cookie shape, or you can also put a few stitches in there with a needle and thread (just make sure you use a very small needle!). Write (or print) your love notes out on your stripes of paper, then put them inside the paper fortune cookies with ends of slips exposed for it's recipient to see it and read it.

Okay, so this is beyond cute if you ask me. But you know me, and this just isn't enough of a "wow" factor. So I'm going to take it one step further. Why not put your Valentine fortune in this adorable take-out box, and also include a sweet little treat for your Valentine? Cute, right? I know!!!! Now, these boxes are a tad pricey, especially if you've got as many to do as I do. But I know I've seen them elsewhere, and even at the Dollar Tree in the party/gift wrap section (and don't pretend like you don't occasionally run into your Dollar store either). Check out Party City or Oriental Trading Company also for chinese take-out boxes where they won't be as decorative, but they'll be much more affordable.

As I mentioned, there are lots of other great ideas at Paper Source to get you started on your Valentines card making crafts. The Candy Shop Magnolia Card Craft would be super cute for any little girl to take to school, or for smaller tots, the Color Your Own Valentine would be just perfect. Depending on the age, you can pick up some colored glue and glitter and really let them go to town! Just look around and pick up heart shaped cards with matching or coordinating envelopes and then let your kids creativity really do the work for them. Or if you have a slightly older child or are wanting to do a great card yourself for a special friend or special someone, then pick up a few of the accordian cards. These are SO fabulous! What I love about these is that you can include photo's or special mementos and it's more like a small book of "i Love you's" instead of just a card. Something else to keep in mind.

Okay, so this should hopefully give you a few ideas to help get you started. I've got to clean the bathroom, change the sheets on my bed, start some laundry then run out the door to meet a friend for lunch and then head off to meet with the baker about Mini #1's birthday cake. Whew! Tonight we've also got our second private school to go look at for mini #1 so I've got to start getting ready for that this afternoon as well. I think I know what my fortune cookie is saying today...A fun filled afternoon of flat-ironing your hair awaits you. Oh joy.

21 Comments:

Anonymous said...

The link for the fortune cookie template did not work for me. Argh!! I love the idea with the little takeout box. I work in an office with 3 ladies and you can be sure they will be getting this cute idea!!

Melissa said...

Adorable ideas - thanks for sharing! Hope you have fun with the flat iron this afternoon!

Unknown said...

I just love paper source. I literally spent two hours in their store in Georgetown a few months ago!

Allie_in_Ga said...

Cute, cute!! I actually saw the boxes at Michael's too for I think under a dollar for the solid ones and around $2 for the patterns!

Monogram Momma said...

Jennifer: I just tried it and it worked for me. Do youhave Adobe Acrobat Reader? You need that to open the template page. Let me know if it still doesn't work here is the direct link:

http://www.heartwoodethics.org/pdf/paper_fortune_cookie.pdf

Anonymous said...

It worked when I copied and pasted (why does "pasted" sound so wrong). I do have Adobe...maybe it was user error in some other way. I would not doubt that for a second!!
Thanks so much!!

Meg said...

VERY cute ideas. How do you do it? You seem to be an endless source of creativity. Thanks for these tips.

BTW, I cannot get into our friend PP's blog any more. Do you know if she's closed up shop? Thanks for your help.

Alyson said...

Very cute ideas! I love the fortune cookie!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the ideas.
My sister is the one with the 3 yr old but yet is gold old Auntie who makes the Valentines with the little one.

Monogram Momma said...

oooh Cel, that is a GREAT idea! Instead of candy to do a little fortune cookie in there too. Love it!

Meg, PP is taking a break so she's closed up shop for a while. I'm sure she'll like to hear she's missed so hopefully she'll stop by and read your comment.

Monogram Momma said...

Meg, go check SWTPP again.

Anne said...

Thank you for sharing these great ideas.

Preppy Mom said...

Thanks so much for the great Valentine card options. I think we'll make the cute fortune cookie ones! Like you, I just can't bear having my daughter send out those cheap ones with the licensed characters. They don't even come with envelopes anymore.

Anonymous said...

We did the fortune cookies a few years ago.. they where surprisingly easy to do, we all had fun and the kids loved giving and getting them... But I must day I'm down more with the chocolate ones fo'Shizzle!

~The EMG

Meg said...

Thanks, MM!

Sisters with Style said...

Cute ideas. I think I'm going to venture to do the fortune cookie idea this year.

Monogram Momma said...

I accidentally deleted comments instead of approving them. Ughh!

Sorry guys!!

Here are comments from readers:

From Nerakamai:
Jo, not sure how many cards you're looking for, but there are some great handmade cards for sale on Etsy.

From teaorwine:
Hi MM, Martha Stewart's website has some cute, easily-assembled valentines to make. I love the lollipop and heart idea. Valentine purse puzzles, popular in the 1800's are fun also. Although they may require too much folding for little preschool hands. Maybe file the idea for next year? Enjoy!

From Anonymous:
superbowl ideas please!

Marissa said...

Precious ideas... I don't know if my cards will get out this year, but I adore all of these wonderful ideas!

Anonymous said...

That fortune cookie valentine is adorable!

Anonymous said...

PS:- Hope the school visit goes great - and I know your hair will be gorgeous!

i *heart* paper said...

The fortune cookies are SO easy to make once you get the hang of it. They're fun, too :-) The trick is to not make the circle bigger than your hand so that you can fold it easily. Happy Valentine's Day!!