24 January, 2007

Sword Swallowing, Steroids, & My Life Today

Yesterday. All my troubles seemed so far away. Now it looks as though they’re here to stay, oh I believe in yesterday.

You know I can’t pass up a good song, especially when it can also be used as an introduction for what I’m about to tell you. As I was saying, yesterday I was a complete no-show here at monogram momma’s. Please forgive me. I’ve had what feels like a marble stuck in my esophagus for about a week now and since I don’t remember actually eating said marble, and it’s been making everyday life tasks such as swallowing, drinking, even just breathing and existing on this earth, pretty miserable, I decided to go have it checked out. Also, Mr. Monogram was really tired of hearing me complain about it. Turns out, it may or may not be reflux. And I may or may not need to be put to sleep to have my esophagus scoped. And he needed a medical degree to tell me that? Thanks, buddy, I figured out that much on my own just by searching the internet with combos like: “esophageal construction” and “esophagus pain.” Which, FYI, brought up a whole bevy or articles on people who swallow swords and how it punctures their esophagus and pretty much you just die. Nice.

So then on top of that, I got called from the pre-school to come pick up mini #2 who was not doing well yesterday and really struggling with his breathing (if you’ll remember, I’ve mentioned here before he has a lung condition). So I picked up both boys, brought them home, game mini #2 a breathing treatment and put them in bed for naps. Then last night was terrible. He has, what the pulmonologist calls green zone, yellow zone, red zone. And he definitely hit his red zone last night so that meant Mr. Monogram and I were up giving him treatments every 2-4 hours. Still no progress today, so now it’s time to give him some steroids. I know this is extremely boring, but unfortunately, such is my life and priority today.

I’ve got some good organizational tips and ideas coming your way later this afternoon, but right now I’m afraid I’ve got to tend to the mini’s (it just so happens mini #1 also has a cold now, too). I’ve successfully gotten both boys snuggled in my bed w/ blankies and stuffed animals so now I’m just biding time until the pharmacy opens and I can go pick up his steroids and the *fun* can begin today. But hey, at least it’s not the flu, right?

Speaking of the flu, it’s spreading like a wildfire in the canyons of California if you haven’t heard, so bundle up and wash those hands. They’ve apparently already starting shutting some schools down in some states, and in the SE it’s so widespread they are calling it an epidemic where I live. But hey, they also tend to overreact about a lot of things where I live so take that with a grain of salt. So keep yourselves healthy and if you want to know what the state of the flu is in your state, you can go here to find out, then put in your state for more detailed information.

So now that I’ve thoroughly panicked every single parent out there, I’ll be back later on with my real post. I’m off to tend to the minis.

17 Comments:

Libby said...

Yikes, MM! Here's wishing a speedy recovery to all the Monograms!

jillskict said...

Oh I hope you and the mini's are all feeling better! Sorry to hear about the trouble, but I am sure you will get yourself and everyone on to the road of recovery soon!

Try to stay sane!

J said...

Yikes, what a day. I hope you and the minis feel better soon!

Allie_in_Ga said...

Oh that is so scary with mini #2! I am sick today too, everyone is! I can't go see my friends new baby again...:( I hope everyone gets well soon!

a. said...

When it rains, it pours. Hope you and the minis will be feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

MM,
Oh how well I remember those nebulizer days and nights. My daughter had severe asthma as a child (had RSV as a baby) and I spent many hours reading to her while we waited on the breathing treatments to run. We also did the steroids and that was loads of fun too.....hope the mini is feeling better soon. Meanwhile, hope you are taking care of yourself also. When Mama's not happy, nobody's happy!

Shari

SLC said...

So sorry to hear about your situation and the little guy's. Having a sick kid is so stressful. You just want to wave you magic "Mom"-wand and make it go away. Please let us know when you guys are feeling better.

Sarah said...

Well, the minis are in good hands with you...SuperMom!

TCP said...

Now, Monogram Momma, I thought we talked about you stopping the sword swallowing! I hope you and the minis are on the mend very, very soon.

Monogram Momma said...

Thank you everyone for the well wishes to the mini's. I will be sure to pass them along! As for me, the Zantac is starting to work a little bit so I'm cbeing cautiosly optomistic! ;-)

Marsha said...

Hang in there, mama.

Kim -today's creative blog said...

geez! what a day you've had. I hope the mini gets better fast! And keep us posted on yours.

Elizabeth H. said...

Yikes! Poor little guy. I am a nebulizer girl and proud of it.

jennifer m. said...

we do the breathing treatments here too.. and steroids... and it seems as though we have to go to the ER at least once during the winter...

i hope the little guy will be better soon..

Anonymous said...

MM! I'm so sorry mini#2 is poorly, and send my good wishes that he gets better soon. I know how scary and stressful it is when your little ones are sick (ChildOne had asthma, but he seems to be growing out of it, thank heaven; hang in there I am thinking of you all.

Southern Mom said...

Hope Mini 2 is better and you had a nice weekend with your family that visited. Hopefully he is sleeping better which, of course, means you are too! I will be thinking about you guys.

Sean said...

I also think I have Acid Reflux, I've been having terrible burning sensations in my throat for quite a bit of time now, but I hate the doctors so I won't go. LOL.. Hope everything turns out okay.