24 March, 2010

Here Comes Peter Cottontail

Easter is right around the corner. Now I don't know about y'all, but when I was growing up, all the Easter Bunny ever put in our baskets were loads of candy, peeps, the obligatory large chocolate bunny, and a few small trinkets. It was packed to the gills mind you, but it was pretty much all candy. But somehow from then to now, the Easter Bunny has become as revered as Santa Claus with the children I know (yes, including my own), and mere candy just does not suffice. The Easter Bunny is now expected to deliver toys, games, money, candy, and pretty much anything else he can fit in that basket. And the baskets? Well naturally they've become supersized as well.

So what is a mom to do? And who the hell started all this hype to begin with? I want to know who the hell is responsible for hyping up the Easter Bunny as big as Santa Claus?? I mean, I barely recover from Christmas and I have mini #1's birthday, which is then followed by Easter. I am going to need a holiday bail-out program at this rate! And while I'm on my soap box, let's just go over the long list of people I'm supposed to keep up with... Of Course there's Santa, St. Nicholas (for my fellow Catholics), the Tooth Fairy, The Leprechauns on St. Patrick's Day, & finally the Easter Bunny. WHY DO I EVEN BOTHER LOCKING THE DOOR with all these people coming in and out of my house.

Anyway, my real point of this post is that with Easter a week and a half away, I'm a bit behind on my Easter Bunny shopping. In case you haven't heard, the Easter Bunny is very busy these days trying to keep up the house since it's on the market, start her new business, and let's face it, she certainly can't miss her Young & the Restless. So I thought I'd share a few things the Easter Bunny will be including in baskets at the Monogram's house this year, in case your Easter Bunny needs a few ideas. Also? Our Easter Bunny is always looking for some cute little things for our baskets as well so please share away if you've got any suggestions of your own.

I remember watching this cartoon series in the 80's, and since my boys are obsessed with all games including Super+Mario, these inexpensive DVD's of the cartoon series will be included in their baskets this year. Santa delivered one to each of them in their stockings as well, and they LOOOOOVE THEM. You can pick them up here for the great price of $5.99 ea. and they really are hilarious.

The Easter Bunny just had to buy these and if you have to ask why, then you haven't been coming around here long enough to know we are obsessed w/ our Chocolate Lab (both current and past one). The boys will love these and as a BONUS they are on sale for a mere $11.49 at my favorite affordable kids store, Gymboree.
I have no idea what Mighty Beanz are, and I'm not entirely sure my kids do either. However, as the commercial is played constantly during Spongebob when we get home from school, the mini's are "dyiiiiing" for Mighty Beanz. At $4.99, I believe the Easter Bunny can make this happen as well.
Last year the Easter Bunny brought DS games so I believe he should keep with that and bring another DS game again (because the 10,345,857 DS games they have apparently aren't enough). At this point he is leaning towards the "I Spy" DS game for mini #1 and Lego Batman for mini #2, but it could also come down to whateversonsale.

Our Easter Bunny always brings Flip Flops. Always has, always will. I love these from Crewcuts and buy them every year, although I'm sad to see they didn't do a madras one for kids this year. Booooooo. They are $19.50 now, but I'm sure that after I buy them they'll go on sale for $12.50 like they usually do.
Much like the Flip Flops, our Easter Bunny brings new goggles every year also. Why? Because kids lose everything, especially goggles. And new goggles also get them excited about Summer and the swimming and warm weather that is right around the corner.

So those the additional items that will accompany all the candy and chocolate in the mini's baskets this year. Now, what about you? What does your Easter Bunny like to bring???

6 Comments:

teresa-bug said...

That chocolate bunny cartoon makes me laugh every single year! I love the idea of flip flops in the Easter Basket. So cute!

Monogram Momma said...

It gets me every singe year too, Teresa!

KK said...

Since I don't have kids, I didn't realize the Easter Bunny is the new Santa! Yikes. Our Easter basket growing up only held candy!

Monogram Momma said...

yes, KK. He has evolved quite a bit. Also, just to fill you in on the tooth fairy? 25 cents is no longer acceptable. Start thinking dollars, as in MULTIPLE or SEVERAL dollars for EACH tooth. And the first tooth? Well that is like GOLD it is SO rare and valuable that it typically goes for no less than $10. NO LIE.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, you frighten me with what it's going to be like when I have children. Also, I need to email you about moving my husband from all black, slouchy button downs to colors.

Monogram Momma said...

Amber Lee: the trick is to piece by piece remove the articles of clothing you loathe from your husbands wardrobe and replace them w/ new pieces you've selected and already put away (tags removed). ;-)