25 August, 2008




Did you know that yesterday was National Waffle Day? Probably not. Would you believe I got up at the crack of dawn and made homemade waffles for my family for breakfast? Probably not. Well it was and I, in fact, did not, but that doesn't mean we can't celebrate the delightful waffle today, does it?
No, no it does not.
Buttermilk Waffles
Williams-Sonoma says we should enjoy these waffles on their own, topped with our favorite syrup, or transform them into a luxurious brunch dish, Waffle Napoleons with Raspberry Cream. For that recipe, we'll will need to cook heart-shaped waffles. And don't we all just have a heart-shaped waffle maker sitting around for occasions such as National Waffle Day?

You Will Need
2 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
5 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. sugar

Directions
1) Preheat a waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
2) In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Whisk in the buttermilk, butter and vanilla until blended.
3) Over a sheet of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
4) Add the flour mixture to the yolk mixture and whisk until smooth.In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
5) Using a rubber spatula, fold 1/2 cup of the egg whites into the batter, then carefully fold in the remaining whites.
6) Cook the waffles according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Makes eight 4-inch waffles.

14 Comments:

TCP said...

What, waffles at your house don't come frozen in a box?? ;)

Muffy said...

YUMMM! This sounds delish!

Monogram Momma said...

TCP: HAHAHAHAH. If I could put that in CAPS EXTRA LARGE i would! Of course they come frozen in a box at my house! However, I do offer an assortment of frozen waffle delicacies such as blueberry, buttermilk, or original. Take your pick!

nomo wino daph said...

Well crap! I made pancakes this AM before school....does that count? lol

preppy little dress AKA "PLD" said...

no, but i love waffles! however, i do not eat them every often - i prefer crepes! yummy! thanks for posting, ha! ha!

Petunia said...

Mmmm...love waffles. I have never tried making from scratch, but do use the pancake/waffle mix which turns out pretty darn tasty. I might borrow a hint from your delish recipe and add vanilla next time I make them!!

Courtney said...

Need to get that and make some waffles for the hubby and baby Molly. She loves waffles!
I feel the same way you do....I am a SLAVE to Target and it drives me crazy!! I never can make it out of that store without buying tons of crap I proablly don't need.
Love your etsy store!

Monogram Momma said...

Yes, flip flops, that does count. Actually, yesterday was Ramen Noodle Day, however, I have to draw the line. I simply can not do a post about the benefits of Ramen noodles!

Monogram Momma said...

Yes, flip flops, that does count. Actually, yesterday was Ramen Noodle Day, however, I have to draw the line. I simply can not do a post about the benefits of Ramen noodles!

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

YUM! I love the photo of the heart waffles.

adozeneggs said...

If I had known it was National Waffle Day, I most definitely would have made some!!
If you have The Joy of Cooking cookbook, there is a super easy recipe for home made. And they're really good.

AUDREY {LIL' BOOGER BLOG} said...

Yum! I love waffles! I haven't had them in forever! Thanks for the inspiration!

Audrey

http://lilboogerbows.blogspot.com

Suburban prep said...

I gave hubby the wafflemaker in the lower right corner fore his birthday last year. He loves it and he is always on the lookout for good waffle recipes.

Pink Flamingo said...

YUM...I will have to give the recipe a try...sounds delish! :)