28 March, 2007

Why Not Skip & Go Naked?

Remember my big complaint about book club? Well I went ahead and dropped out. Yep, I did. And believe you me, I am no quitter. Nuh-uh. *shaking my head* But you know what? It’s ok. Because I decided to start up a new book club with my friend Cresta (who was also in the last book club with me) where the only rule is NO BORING BOOKS ALLOWED. If you have a boring book, you must check it at the door with your coat and bag, please. And if you are caught smuggling in a boring book, then just know that you will be subject to a review by your book club peers. That’s right! Save the drama for your momma! Well, not THIS momma, but you know what I mean.

So who knew dropping out of book club could create so much drama? I will spare you the details, but suffice-to-say, some people *cough Old book club leader* have a real knack for creating ridiculous drama around every aspect of their life. I mean, it’s book club, honey! You’re not exactly guarding government secrets (or are you?)! This same person also doesn’t like to hear suggestions from members of said club of possible changes to liven it up a bit. And before you jump to any conclusions, I was not the only person innocently suggesting a few format changes when we noticed people dropping like flies like they just ran into the flyzapper on a hot summer night.

Anyhoo, with Cresta and I starting up our new book club and all, we needed a catchy name. So we are the ChickLit Book Club. And BTW, do you know how difficult actual Chicklit Gum is to find these days? Geeez! But I digress. Where was I? Oh yeah, book club. So aside from this being a fun and lighthearted, upbeat book club, we started a new format. Every member initially puts 2 books on the list. Either books they have read and want to share and chat about, books they really want to read, or even books that were made into movies that they never read but wanted to. So we have this master list. And when it’s your turn to host, you pick the book for the month off the list. The only catch is you can’t pick your own book. However, you also get to replace the book. This way, we are reading books we want to read, and the list is always changing and rotating around.

So far it’s been a really fun format for those of you looking to start up a new book club or looking for a way to change your current one around a bit. It does help though, that we’ve got some really funny outgoing ladies in our group that keep us rolling in laughter most of the time. And I must admit it also doesn’t hurt that we’ve been doing theme drinks. For instance, March was my month to host (last night) and I chose We’re Just Like You Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle by Celia Rivenbark. A truly hysterical, LOL read if you are in the mood for one, BTW. With topics like why the Sopranno’s could never live down South, and what goes into big har (read hair for the non-southerners reading today), I really recommend her comical (though true!) observations and stories. But back to the drink. Since we were doing a Southern book, I decided I would serve Southern Porch Slammers. Truly, a real treat. And yes, I realize this is low-budget but once you taste it you will not be able to turn it away!

Southern Porch Slammer
-This is a 3-1 ratio
-3 parts beer (Beer!!) to 1 part frozen concentrate Limeade

I doubled the recipe so I just took my large stainless pitcher and added 6 beers and 2 cans of frozen concentrated limeade. I mixed it up really well and kept it in the fridge, until people arrived, then I served it in highball glasses over ice. You can also serve it with a wedge of lime, but alas, I forgot the fresh lime when I was grocery shopping earlier. This is the BEST light summer drink to cool you off and you know monogram momma would not steer you wrong. But if you want to add a little vodka to it, you can do that also, but the name then changes to a Skip and Go Naked. Either way, whether you decide to slam it on the front porch or skip and go naked, this book gets 4 stars from mm.

22 Comments:

SLC said...

Love the name of your new book club! That book sound like a lot of fun to read. And I love the sound of the Southern Porch Slammer. I have a porch and Virginia is kinda southern.

sle said...

I absolutely LOVE that book....as far as your old book club leader all there is to say is...Bless her heart...she can't help it! Be sure and read Bless Your Heart, Tramp if you haven't already.

Anonymous said...

OK, SILLY QUESTION, BUT WHAT KIND OF BEER DID YOU USE? ALE, DARK? JUST WONDERING...MAY EFFECT THE TASTE AND I REALLY WANT TO TRY THIS DRINK!
THANK YOU FOR THE POSTS!

Marissa said...

I am looking for a good book to read, this sounds perfect! Thanks for the recommendation.

Monogram Momma said...

sle: you are so right! LOL!

Anonymous: I reccomend using Miller Lite. Even if you don't like the flavor of ML, it doesn't really make a differnece b/c once the limeade is added in, you can't even tell.

Unknown said...

I cannot believe this is what you posted about today! I have agreed with your opinions on basically every book you've talked about and was honestly just about to e-mail you to ask what you've been reading. Thank you!

a. said...

Good for you on starting your own club. Who wants to read boring books??? That's what school is/was for!

Seriously, whoever says they are reading War & Peace on vacation is totally lying.

hqm said...

That was a really fun post!
We just had a porch built, I was painting it today as a matter of fact! You can bet I'll be serving Southern Porch Slammers on it this summer! Does it matter I live above the Mason-Dixon Line? As far as the Skip and Go Naked, sounds delicious, I am afraid some of my friends would take it literally!

Monogram Momma said...

Alyssa & hqm: I am rolling in laughter over here!

Anonymous said...

They make that drink in Germany; it's called a rottler there. Haven't had one in years but can't wait to relive it. I laughed out loud reading The Devil in the Junior League. Being a leaguer myself, I appreciated the truths and falsehoods alike. Also, 24 Karat Kids. Cute, easy read.

Anonymous said...

"Seriously, whoever says they are reading War & Peace on vacation is totally lying."

Hey now! I read Crime and Punishment on vaca! The last popular fiction I read was on the plane to London in 2005. My bookshelf is pretty much all theologians and philosophers, Tolstoy and works in useless languages. I belong to a group that gets together once a week and just spends an hour translating Greek. We don't find that boring at all. To each their own.

The Preppy Peach said...

I'm with you MM - can't wait to read that book. As a former beauty queen (Miss Pine Tree 1992 - control your laughter, please), I think it will be highly amusing.

I've had a porch slammer, but here in South GA we call it beer tequila and use corona. It's a must since our county is "damp". For those of you not from the South, that means beer and wine sales only, not liquor. Because everyone knows that you can't get drunk off wine and beer - RIIIIIGHT!

Anonymous said...

You can also make "Skip and Go Naked" with gin, beer and pink lemonade...We have it every year when we have our annual girl's weekend. It is like reliving those fraternity party days!! It is delicous!

Monogram Momma said...

OMG, Preppy Peach, I mean, Miss Pine Tree, I am laughing SO HARD at your comment!!! And you are SO right about the "damp" county's!

Anon, I will have to try the Skip & go Naked with your recipe! That sounds beter than adding it to the Southern Porch Slammer!

Southern jezeBelle said...

i love that book club! I want to start/join one that is just like that, with fun, light hearted chicklit books. But alas I haven't found the time to start it or the persons to join. Try some Jane Greene stuff. She's a great chicklit author. I'm definatley trying the book you've suggested.

Oh, and what kinda of beer do you use in the Southern Porch Slammer? That is my next bbq drink!

MMM said...

Hmmm. I feel the need for a Southern Porch Slammer. Sounds like a great Thursday night treat!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love that book! Have you read 'Stop dressing your 6 year old like a skank'? Hah! Southern Porch Slammer....can't wait! Of course, since we've moved to yankee land, I'll have to wait a while for the weather to warm up. But maybe, since we're headed down to GA for spring break....mmmmmm.

a. said...

I have "The Devil in the Junior League" on my "to read" list...

If I want to be brainy I will read Antonia Fraser books or some non-fiction about the lift of an artist. Joan Didion "A Year of Magical Thinking" was excellent. That's about as "deep" as I get.

Life is too short to be "War and Peace" or "Crime and Punishment" serious. This coming from someone who studied criminals for 2+ post-grad years :-)

jillskict said...

I love a good read and a good book club. Ever since I left out East and came back to MN I have been looking for a book club who can appreciate a good Southern Porch Slammer (we actually call them Strip and go Nakeds here, but we add one can vodka, one can beer and one can sprite to the lemonade)alas the book club I joined here is a coffee clutch. . . .I would like to join yours MM!

Monogram Momma said...

Oh Jilly, I feel for you! Our last boo club was a reall bore. Let me just tell you. You are WELCOME to "virtually" join our book club! April's selection is "I Don't Know How She Does It" so pick it up and start reading along! ;-)

Melly said...

Awesome book club choice!! All of Celia's books are LOL reads. Another great book along these lines is Susan Reinhardt's "Not Tonight, Honey -- Wait 'til I'm a Size 6." Impossible to put down and oh so funny!!!

Broady said...

I believe my cousin introduced me to a drink like this... I think he called it a "shandy." Anyone know if this is the same drink?