07 February, 2007

The Beast of the Fitted Sheet

Want to know how many loads of laundry I washed, dried, folded, hung, and put away yesterday? 5. That’s right, FIVE. Want to know how many I have left? Mmmmmmmm, I’m going to estimate and say 4. FOUR MORE. Calgon take me away!

So in honor of all my laundry, I thought I’d share with you a nifty little tutorial on how to fold that blasted fitted sheet. *Of course, lets not leave out the little fact that really my ife would be a lot easier if I still had someone doing this for me* Because if you’re anything like me, and since we’ve gotten to know each other a bit over the last 7 months I can say that you probably are, that stupid stupid sheet ends up in a messy odd looking shape with random creases and fabric poking out all over the place. And then what you do is try to tame it and flatten it by putting the folded flat sheet and pillow cases on top of it, right? Follow that up with a *convincing* "yeah, that looks good now!" Yeah well, if we can’t tame the beast of the fitted sheet we might as well learn how to fold it for real.



1. Stand holding the sheet by the two adjacent corners of one of the shorter edges (see photo, left). With the sheet inside out, place one hand in each of these two corners.


2. Bring your right hand to your left, and fold the corner in your right hand over the one in your left, enveloping it. Next, reach down and pick up the corner that is hanging in front; bring it up, and fold it over the two corners in your left hand; the corner that’s showing will be inside out.

3. Bring the last corner up, and fold it over the others; with its right side showing, it should envelop the other three corners.

4. Lay the folded sheet on a flat surface, and straighten it into the shape shown.

5. Fold the two edges in so all the elastic is hidden.

6. Fold the sheet into a rectangle.

7. Continue folding until the rectangle is the size you want it to be.

8. I added #8 myself. My mom takes the perfectly folded fitted sheet, flat sheet and 1 pillow case and perfectly stuffs them inside the remaining pillow case so her linen closet looks, well, probably a lot like Martha's to tell the truth!

Well, you know what they say... Practice makes perfect so I’m off to practice and perfect my fitted sheet folding skills by tackling my last 4 loads (until it all starts over again on Monday that is). Or maybe I'll bag it and just go shopping today....

Yep, that sounds a lot better to me!

15 Comments:

Susan D. said...

I'm going to print this out & place it on my linen closet door! I hate folding sheets, but hopefully I can master this technique! Thanks!

KK said...

This is no joke - last night I was balling up my fitted sheet (I really do try and fold them, but they end up in a big ball) and I thought to myself I wonder if MM would ever post about folding fitted sheets! Thanks for posting this. Maybe after a few attemps, my linen closet will look like Martha's. Ok, I'm sure it won't, but I'll try :)

Kimba said...

ohhh, i'll have to try that.

DebbieDo said...

That is so funny, my mother is so good at folding fitted sheets and I am horrible. Thanks for the tips, and the supportive comments on my blog. I am trying to stay strong and I know there will be a happy ending someday, I'm just anxious for it to be here sooner than later.

Thanks, Debbie

dmmlandcruiser said...

I just can't do it! I've tried this and the sheet still comes out a mess. There are some battles in life that you just can't win!

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing the pillowcase trick in Martha's mag many years ago, I used to do that - as it did make the linen closet look nice & tidy - not sure why I stopped! I love the folding technique - I should practice - as my fitted sheets look awful & thanks to their bad fold, they are horribly wrinkled and who the hell has the time to iron them??

Monogram Momma said...

Well I must say i am REALLY glad to know I am not alone in this and I am determined to figure this fitted sheet thing out!

Suburban prep said...

If you can believe, hubby is better at folding the fitted sheets than I am. (That is fine with me--he can go for it).

Sarah said...

My mom taught me this very same folding method years ago. That and how to properly starch and iron a pillowcase. There's nothing better!

a. said...

I can't do it either. I've tried and I just can't.

Midwest Nest said...

Have enjoyed reading your blog for some time now and you have inspired me to create my own. My mother taught me years ago about folding sheets and I do a fair job. I loved the idea about putting the sheets in a pillowcase. Thanks.

Meg Q said...

Ahhh, the Martha sheet tutorial! :^)

It just takes practice. Practice practice practice. Even so, it's easier, I think, if you've benefited from someone like your mother showing you how to do this already - then you can use this as a tip sheet to refresh the memory. This is how my mom showed me to do it, and over years of folding sheets now it's just kind of a tuck-tuck-fold-fold-fold semi-continuous motion. Maybe what Martha needs to do is post a video on folding the fitted sheet!

Meg Q said...

*Of course, lets not leave out the little fact that really my life would be a lot easier if I still had someone doing this for me*

Well, there's always that, of course!

Anonymous said...

MM, you've done it again - I never thought of putting all the linen into the pillowcase - that is such a good idea! Durrr! time to hit the linen press!

CG said...

I've seen Martha do this on her show but I still have yet to do it. I have also been shown how to do mens shirts but don't remember it. I don't spend alot of time on laundry. I'm doing good just to get them washed.