09 August, 2006

An OD of Preppy Shopping (Is that even possible?)

I'm beginning to believe it is quite possible that the mini monograms are on a secret mission to drive me completely bonkers to where I am forced to check into the mental hospital. Honestly. I'm not kidding. I used to think it was really cute that they would take their little dogs in mini #1's closet (it is a pretty large walk-in with some angles) to play and pretend it was a fort, but now I'm actually beginning to think that's where they go to plot my recent bout of insanity. My usually even tempered, polite, plays-excellent-on-their-own children will not even let me have my privacy in the bathroom since summer camp has ended. Oh please, OH PLEASE, let pre-school start soon! Not to mention it is incredibly difficult to give the house a good thorough cleaning when two little ones are underfoot, “helping” me. Therefore, I thought a little shopping trip would give me a much needed pick-me-up and luckily I picked up a few handfuls of really good finds which thankfully, restored me back to my regular pink and green colors. Last week I completely scored at Parisian’s in the chilren’s Ralph Lauren section and loaded the boys up for next summer, and also picked up these fantastic white and pink leather Born flip flops for myself (they are my absolute FAVORITE everyday shoemaker, btw). Somehow I ended up getting everything 50-60% off (which rarely ever happens to me) so I really made out. Don’t you just love being able to buy twice as much when it’s all on sale (yes, that is the exact rationale that gets me into trouble with Mr. Monogram)?!I don’t know if you can tell from these pictures but they are an off-white leather with pink and white straps. SO CUTE! Naturally, I’m already thinking ahead to our Christmas picts which we take on the beach every year in October, and the mini’s have the adorable “Phillip Pant” in light blue by Ralph Lauren that my mom picked up for them when they came out in the spring that they will be wearing, pink monogrammed Ralph Lauren golf shirts, and their well worn and loved A. Tierney belts that I picked up about 4 years ago. Then I picked up this must have pair of traditional seersucker pants for Mr. Monogram by Brooks Brothers (they are on sale now, btw). Oops, that reminds me, I need to drop them off at the alterations place to be cuffed. I realize summer is nearly over, but still, I think he’ll be able to get some good wear out of them for our date nights (as if we’ve had one of those recently. Ha!) or to work on Fridays. Unfortunately Mr. Monogram wears a suit every day, but I think he could get away with these and his navy sport coat and tie on a Friday, no? That’s about as “dressed down” for work he will ever get and even that will take some convincing! Although he does love these new pants as he has had the matching shorts for forever. Anyhow, Preppy Puppy will need yet another different collar for the picture as well and I haven’t quite settled on it but yes, I do realize I’ve got some time. And while I was on this preppy purchasing spree, I also went ahead and picked up mini monogram #2’s “big boy” bedding. While we are still several months away from him being even remotely ready to go into a big boy bed, I am still trying to get my decorating game plan laid out and I’ve settled on this must have madras by Pottery Barn that I’ve had my eye on all summer. It will look fabulous with his pale apple green walls and large French monogram I hand painted on the wall of his nursery when he was a newborn (not to worry, I will show you how I did it another day). Currently, he has a pleated silk dupioni valence which I made in his room which I adore and is so pretty and perfect in there, but I’m not sure how it will work with the new bedding. But again, I’ve got a while to figure that out as I’m just trying to stock pile my purchases for his room over the next few months. You know, I’d like to prevent Mr. Monogram from having a heart attack if at all possible, from all my shopping for the mini’s. It’s the very least I can do, don’t you think?

6 Comments:

Pink Cupcakes said...

I love the bed sheets!

Kiki the Precious Preppy said...

I wanted to say I like the pants. Seersucker was available in ready made this year, but it was difficult to find in bolt fabric. Your hubby is lucky you found them. I just think they are the cutest, and the cuffing is a super final touch.

Monogram Momma said...

I would definiltely check ebay. However, here's one thing to think about. We went ahead and did a double bed for mini #1's big boy room and I are planning to do the same or even a Queen for mini #2's room. Just thinking down the road a bit, and how tall my husband is and my kids, I don't want them outdrowing a twin size bed at 16 (as Mr. monogram did!) and then I'm stuck re-buying expensive furniture again!

Monogram Momma said...

Mini #2's room is very small for some reason too. You can always push it against a wall, and that way you also don't have to worry about rails on that side. The other thing is to move him to another room, which, I know, you hate to do. I will probably off-center mini #2's bed, and do 1 very small nightstand, and just be consious of the furniture side when buying. Send me a pict. and I'll help you place it. I'm going to have to totally move around mini #2's room to accomodate the double or queen.

J said...

I've been reading your blog for a few weeks and have to thank you, not only for your fun project ideas, but for the Pottery Barn link. I ended up perusing all the PB sale bedding because of it and ended up geting the Newport Stripe duvet and shams at a drastically reduced price! I'd had my eye on it at the beginning of the summer, but couldn't justify the price. So thanks to you my bedroom will certainly be brightened up!

Monogram Momma said...

Well Welcome, J! Glad to have you along! I too, was most thrilled to see the Madras bedding on Sale and it completely made my day! Another tip for you is to call all the outlets, b/c they might even have what you're looking for at an even further discounted cost and will ship it to you. Enjoy your new purchases! ;-)