01 August, 2006

Lobster Fest

While we’re on the subject of party planning, I’ve just got to fill you in on Alyson’s lobster party for her son Drew this past weekend. Despite the unwelcome rain that threw a wrench in the outdoor activities and forced a back up plan, everything was fabulous! Alyson did a phenomenal job shifting gears from an outdoor party to prepping indoor activites. She moved the bouncer in the garage, bubbles on the front porch, lobster coloring pages inside with playdough, and pin the claw on the lobster. Might I add, that mini monogram #1 even won the “lobster bait” prize for pinning the claw the closest. What a proud, proud, moment I must say. But seriously, the invitations, as you can see, were most adorable. And of course, I have to toot my own horn here as I helped with the wording. Ever resourceful, Alyson found these adorable invitations on ebay from S D Design so that’s something you might want to keep in mind when planning your own soiree next. They’ve got a great selection of things and Alyson said they were so nice to customize the cards for her and give her a few options. Always good to know! And also worth mentioning for anyone looking for a customized headband or little girl’s hair bow, is to go stop by Simply Bows on ebay as well. After Alyson emailed asking her if she could make a very small bow for baby Graysen, Julie was SO SO thoughtful to not only make it, but send it to Alyson free of charge and shipping. How generous is that?! I should have an award for the person who displays the generous and creative spirit of monogram momma, don’t you think? So you all really must go check out her ebay store and buy buy buy! Alyson said she was so wonderful and customized the red and navy lobster bow just as she had wanted. And I’m here to attest to how adorable Miss Graysen looked in her red and navy monogrammed party dress and matching lobster hair bow! Of course, let’s not forget the cake with fondant lobsters and dots that Alyson so tirelessly worked on, and also the giant lobster cookies in the perfectly preppy lobster tin buckets for the party favors! She totally scored when she picked those up at Target on sale. And what’s that I see??? Is that a hand painted galvanized drink tin? WOW! It sure turned out great! I love how she used her party theme in lieu of a monogram. Way to go Alyson!
All in all, it was a great party and Alyson really did a great job of executing her lobster theme. Although, I must admit, Mr. Monogram was actually expecting REAL lobster. SERIOUSLY. He actually thought we would be dining on fresh lobster at a 3 year old's birthday party. Do you believe him and his expectations! And now it's time for me to start prepping for my own party next month. It appears Mr. Monogram has informed me that we are throwing a dinner party for his staff on the 19th so I really need to get a jump on menu planning and floral arrangements, etc. for that. Oh, I even need to do invitations! Yes yes, I know, not necessary at all for a casual dinner party for his staff, but you know me, any excuse to come up with stationary and invitation ideas!

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Alyson-
You really out did yourself! The party looks like it was quite a hit :) From the cake to the bow to the drink tin... too cute!
Congrats!

Monogram Momma said...

MJM- needing 1 or 2 outfits? For Fri or Sat night? Kids or no kids? not to worry, I'l take care of it for you! I feel your pain about the two kids and always looking dirty. I swear by the end of the day my white t-shirt looks like I've changed the car oil or someting and I can never figure out why.

Monogram Momma said...

MJM, also, where in Chicago is the picnic on Sat and is there a theme? Type of food, etc?

Alyson said...

Thanks for your kind words Ashley. Also, thank you MM for all of the great ideas ane help with the planning! I don't think I could have done it without you!

Anonymous said...

no theme just celebrating good job on Friday and company picnic on saturday is at work outside by the building... found a sp?? jcmacglauphlin dress on line that I might look good but not sure if itis too much.

oh and Alyson your party looks amazing!!!

Jill said...

Fantastic party ideas! Theme parties are the best and so much fun to do! BTW - I just posted my results from the silhouette craft project. Check it out!

Monogram Momma said...

Hop on over to inthepink.com and check out all the fabulous Lilly stuff. Whether you chose a simple Lilly skirt with a tank to keep you cool for the picnic, or even a casual dress you can throw on with a pair of flip flops, I think that’d be perfect for Sat. Make sure you specifically check out the spring line as you can get 30% off w/ discount code of 4458. Also, J Crew is having a huge end of summer clearance sale with some adorable little casual sundresses that you could either dress up or down and I always love that as an option. Another option that has become pretty much my daily summer uniform is a pair of white bermuda shorts and crisp looking polo. You can either pair with a pair of preppy white sneakers (no socks, of course) suck as tretorns, or pair of sandals or espadrilles. Let us all know what you decide on!

dmmlandcruiser said...

Simply Bows is great! I ordered three sets of ten bows and some specialty bows from Julie over the Spring and they are all terrific. A girl can never have enough bows!